• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Versaworks mystery

CentralSigns

I had a completely new type of Versaworks crash. I was printing 500 decals 160 at a time. I was able to print 3 sets of 160, but the last one didn't re-register in the right area putting the cut just off enough to warrant a reprint. That sometimes happens. What was real weird was i tried to reprint again and it wouldn't let me. First off the file looked all screwed up on the VW screen and then it just dropped the job before it could start. I restarted Versaworks and still wouldn't work. I restarted the computer and still didn't work. I had to delete the file and start again, the old file became no good? The same file imported int Versaworks as a eps and worked. The original file was a eps. Any one have this new problem happen. This one particularly sucks as one has to remember all the settings to make sure they are the same or the output is different. I wish they would get their SHIP together at Roland. Although I have been happy with Roland in the past, this new crash can't continue to happen or I may reconsider the quality of their products, based on the software support they have, and may shop different in the future.

Custom_Grafx

Never had that one here...

Was just thinking the other day - do those other RIPS out there (which I've never used), do the same things as VW (VDP, print/cut, Tiling etc)?

If they do, and they don't have these problems... I might tap that SHIP.

Custom_Grafx

Yeah I know, I just got my new machine in January.

They seem to fix bugs that never happen to me when I read their update summaries.

CentralSigns

I'm really losing my patients. Today this ship is costing me $$$, and that really pisses me off. I'm at wits end, it just fricken did it again.

ova

We have this happen sometimes. When you hit the rip icon, it shows the gears turning, but will not send the job to the printer.

Like you said, you need to shut down VW and restart. I think I've even had to shut the printer down and restart it before VW would send the info.

Seems like it happens more towards the end of a 12 hr day. I figured the computer was getting as tired as I was. I know it's a pain when I'm trying to get a bunch of stuff printed before I leave so it will be ready for lam and cutting the next day.

This problem and the other one where VW locks up when you hit OK after setting all the stats are the two we're having.

Dave

threeputt

The VersaWorks RIP is a highly usable product.

It's bundled with Roland printers for a reason. I don't think a company as big and reliable as Roland would put out a inferior product and expect sales of their printers to continue to dominate.

Just something to consider.

Regarding the problem itself, I think I'd look for some compatibility issues perhaps. Are you fully upgraded to 4.0?

Regarding bashing a product (and by extension an entire company) based solely on your particular experience with the RIP is going some. (in my opinion) Thousands of people use VW daily.

I haven't tried other maker's RIPs. (Onyx and others), so I can't say VW is superior, but I know it's not junk.

Mainframe

The VersaWorks RIP is a highly usable product.

It's bundled with Roland printers for a reason. I don't think a company as big and reliable as Roland would put out a inferior product and expect sales of their printers to continue to dominate.

Just something to consider.

Regarding the problem itself, I think I'd look for some compatibility issues perhaps. Are you fully upgraded to 4.0?

Regarding bashing a product (and by extension an entire company) based solely on your particular experience with the RIP is going some. (in my opinion) Thousands of people use VW daily.

I haven't tried other maker's RIPs. (Onyx and others), so I can't say VW is superior, but I know it's not junk.
+1 for this, I run VW on an imac with Xp, the program rocks, I basically have no problem at all, maybe you need to check your computer?

Custom_Grafx

Most of the time it works well, but when it doesn't, it can cost time and money.

Overall, I would say that I'm happy with the product, but the errors/crashes could be more user friendly - ie, provide more detail.

Your suggestion to check the computer is exactly what I mean. Why isn't there an error message that tells you what to check like other programs? Instead, VW just decides to hang, and leave you clueless. To make it even more frustrating, things tend to be random.

Custom_Grafx

I had a completely new type of Versaworks crash. I was printing 500 decals 160 at a time. I was able to print 3 sets of 160, but the last one didn't re-register in the right area putting the cut just off enough to warrant a reprint. That sometimes happens. What was real weird was i tried to reprint again and it wouldn't let me. First off the file looked all screwed up on the VW screen and then it just dropped the job before it could start. I restarted Versaworks and still wouldn't work. I restarted the computer and still didn't work. I had to delete the file and start again, the old file became no good? The same file imported int Versaworks as a eps and worked. The original file was a eps. Any one have this new problem happen. This one particularly sucks as one has to remember all the settings to make sure they are the same or the output is different. I wish they would get their SHIP together at Roland. Although I have been happy with Roland in the past, this new crash can't continue to happen or I may reconsider the quality of their products, based on the software support they have, and may shop different in the future.

http://download.rolanddg.jp/VersaWorks/Issue_E4210.htm

I am downloading this update now - was just reading through it and you came to mind on item 7. Do you "centre media"?

Looks like they are slowly addressing some of the issues on the VS slowly as well.

CentralSigns

Thanks for the thought Custom Graphx. I never centre my cuts, so doesn't apply. I am fully upgraded to the newest version and meet all the requirements for the program to work computer-wise. Thats why I find it so frustrating. Don't get me wrong I love my Roland printer, and would rather have a Roland than anything else for now, but the isolated software mistakes cost me $$$ and that really pisses me off. Anything that affects ones bottom line is an issue that needs resolved. If so many users are having issues then they need to remedy the issues, as the more frustrated one becomes the more opportunity there is for one to look at other competing manufacturers printing products. Like when I have to wait for the crash to get restarted or redo jobs every 3-4 days.