• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Vinyl Requirments Coming

Milo

I talked with a an associate in the business and he said that new regulations are coming on the re-formulation of the adhesives on vinyl. The new VOC regulations will require ventilation and respirators to be used when handling any type of adhesive film in the work place, because as he pointed out the films are releasing gases when the backer is removed and exposing the adhesive, and will be considered just as harmful as any paint to the respiratory system.

Has anyone else been involved in the discussion of this in the EPA arena?

According to the regulations, you want be able to wrap vehicles outdoors due to fumes being released.
Respirators required while laying film
Vented Areas where the film is used
Reformulation of the adhesive to comply will drive up the costs of the films.

Is this an old topic that I wasn't aware of?

SignManiac

Yea the regulations will likely kill us before vinyl out gassing will. I've been working with vinyl and every other know toxic chemical for forty years and I'm still healthy as an ox. Maybe it will kill my by the time I'm 90 years old. I shudder at that thought.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All this outgassing ?? Along with the cows, the Chinese industrial revolution and all this outgassing...... it's going to give us global warming on a pretty big scale. I never heard of vinyl f@rts.

When are all these stoopified myths gonna cease ?? :banghead:

geb

Actually, I think your seeing changes in the manufacture of vinyl. I was disappointed a couple years ago when oracal 951 changed their actual color of golden yellow. It became a lighter yellow than it was. Tough when a manufacturer changes actual color of a product you use every day and is a mainstay for your employers business.

Is it true or false that vinyl has/had lead in it?

George

d fleming

With all the one shot, laquer thinner, xylene, spirits, and corogloss I've played with over the years, not to mention a 7 year stint in commercial pest control I don't think I'll get too worried at this point over a little glue.

MikePro

i didn't know stripper glitter was vinyl based..
:roflmao:

....on a related note, I just had to put MSDS labels on my application fluid spray bottles. Soap & water, zero hazard. Ugh. Soooo annoying, but luckily Dawn had all the info for me to copy/paste.

ChicagoGraphics

If that's the case, the next widow lettering job I do I'm going to get me one of them old time gask mask and a white throw-a-way suit.

Billct2

I can see wearing a mask where it's maunfactured or slit, but seriously? Applying is a shop or onsite?
What scares me is they may be changing formulas and they'll wreck vinyl like they did sign paint.

Trip59

Just wonderful, like all the paint reformulations that reduce the life by years, or hell, try to get anything chrome plated with any quality, used to last for decades, now you're seeing failures in a year or two. The EPA has just about killed trucking, that's forcing costs up dramatically, and don't get me started on why I have to clean out carbs every few weeks to remove the green slime their 10% ethanol causes...

visual800

Oh Christ! I can see it now. All sign shops with have to go thru EPA Classes to be verified before they can apply for a license! and then we will have all those damn CAUTION decals everywhere in the shops. It is going to be govt intrusion at its finest, and lets not forget all the extra money we are gonna have to dole out

Chuck Osborne

Insurance

I don't know about EPA coming to get you but the insurance company might. I have had business insurance with one company
for the past 10 years. They are not going to handle small business any more so I have to get it some place else. The lady I talk to
at a new company ask what I do and if do wraps. I say no, she says good because wraps are considered High Risk. High Risk, we used
to hang billboards that was considered high risk. I guess they have to get you somewhere!

MikeD

When I first started out, I used to visit my folks for dinner after work and they made me change my clothes on the front porch before coming in. I couldn't smell it, but they could. I also work in a cloud of laser-cut acrylic fumes though. We print with Solvent Mimaki's and Seikos and the ink doesn't really stink, but we just started going through pallets of 3M IJ40-C... When heated, that stuff smells horrible and gives everyone an instant headache. 3M told me it was not the printer ink, but the adhesive that was giving off the smell as it travels over the pre, print and post heaters as well as an IR drier. I've been working on ways to contain the fumes, clean them and vent them away.

I would rather figure out how to work safely with them rather than change the adhesive formulation of something that works well.

Has anyone found any govt articles on this subject recently that will affect our industry?