• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Zealand

WildWestDesigns

I remember some people tossing out charges of racism and xenophobia.

I remember the media being the ones doing most of the tossing following the twitter mob.

But most of the criticism about Trump's so-called travel ban was that it was pointless. The virus was already here.

Locking down points of entry does serve a purpose, it may not keep the virus from getting here, but it would help keep the vectors of infection from adding to a bigger pool of contact.

Now, like with anything even a good idea is only as good as it's implementation. Implement it piss poor and get piss poor results regardless if it was a good idea or not.

I agree about personal responsibility, unfortunately that and learning how to think critically isn't what is being taught in today's schools, but I digress on that one.

I have no problem with social distancing myself. I am pretty much a hermit before this and it really hasn't changed my personal habits all that much.

Now, I'm not a full lock down advocate, that does more harm then good (and this will be felt for a long time and this may be a something that is always going to be here from now on, can't be in full lock down in perpetuity), but unfortunately, to not do that, it requires more from everyone else and that isn't going to be very forth coming for one reason or another. The US is too polarized and the gap between the 2 ways of thinking are way way way too far apart.

WildWestDesigns

Look at the cities that arent doing that. The cities that dont do face masks / shut downs are the ones getting lots of cases. be thankful your city is... because those inconveniences are whats causing there to be 1 or 2 cases with little symptoms (Wearing a mask decreases the viral load... so your symptoms are less when you wear a mask).

There are some cities that are under more strict lock down that aren't fairing too well.

Here, well in Nashville, there are people that are getting arrested without masks and one of the councilmen wanted to make it a charge of attempted murder I[m thinking, if went around without a mask and was arrested.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are some cities that are under more strict lock down that aren't fairing too well.

Here, well in Nashville, there are people that are getting arrested without masks and one of the councilmen wanted to make it a charge of negligent homocide if went around without a mask and was arrested.

Wait..... but you can drive cars and trucks through store windows, rob the stores blind, beat up shop owners and innocent bystanders and set fire to not buildings, but blocks of buildings, including when they have people barricaded inside and they get off scot-free ?? They can shoot people and kill little kids ?? And these things are not crimes ?? Nothing more than wannabe little 'king of the mountains' who just wanna be in charge regardless of how stupid it is.

WildWestDesigns

Wait..... but you can drive cars and trucks through store windows, rob the stores blind, beat up shop owners and innocent bystanders and set fire to not buildings, but blocks of buildings, including when they have people barricaded inside and they get off scot-free ?? They can shoot people and kill little kids ?? And these things are not crimes ?? Nothing more than wannabe little 'king of the mountains' who just wanna be in charge regardless of how stupid it is.

Pretty much yea.

Thankfully that didn't go through, but yea. And it's that type of thing that makes people not want to do what they are told from the very people that are allowing all the above (and more).

KMC

Graphic Artist
kia ora

back to the original post:
yes New Zealand managed to 'got rid of' covid for 100 days, due to shutting down all ports, schools and non essential services etc. June 16 they reopened the schools and businesses
the next step was to reopen all the ports and have mandatory 2 week isolation which was self monitored, when this didn't work they closed the ports down again to get a handle on it.
reopen the ports again, the government put up the returning kiwis or tourists in hotels for a 2 week period, a few people sneaked out and went shopping and spread it back around which made the govt put up more security features and i think even the army was patrolling the outside of the hotels
https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work...d-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases

you cant compare NZ to the US or Canada on how they handle covid, NZ has a small population and is an isolated country surrounded by water its easier to get a handle on this quicker.
BUT no matter what your government decides to do about covid (or anything really) not every one is going to agree, some saying its too harsh others saying its not enough

i am thankful that it was COVID-19 and not MERS-COV that went globally mental

Kia Kaha

coromnavirus-vs-flu.png

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Those fatality rates are really apples to oranges comparisons since a bunch of variables are influencing the case fatality rates or overall fatality rates. It's very misleading to look at them in static terms. Also a bunch of these diagrams floating around on the Internet don't all show the same numbers.

MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) is definitely more dangerous on an individual case by case basis than SARS-CoV-2. I would much rather be afflicted with COVID-19 than be infected with MERS. The funny thing is outbreaks of MERS have been short-lived. Those who get infected tend to fall ill quickly and are incapacitated before they can spread the disease to lots of other people. MERS outbreaks tend to burn themselves out fast. SARS-CoV-2 is the polar opposite. It is spreading very well, even among people who are showing no symptoms of COVID-19 illness. The case fatality rate of SARS-CoV-2 is only a mere fraction of that of MERS. But SARS-CoV-2 is infecting far more people and overall killing a lot more people.

It is technically possible for SARS-CoV-2 to have a fatality rate down closer to some seasonal flu strains. But that all depends greatly on the ability of the health care system to treat patients and the health care system's treatment capacity. When a hospital gets overrun with patients suffering from COVID-19 the fatality rate of SARS-CoV-2 increases. When a hospital loses a bunch of its staff to SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19 illness the fatality rates gets worse. The fatality rate can easily go from less than 1% of cases to over 15% or more. That's what was happening in Italy and the UK when they were in the peak of their disease waves.

Some people have suggested the SARS-CoV-2 virus should be allowed to run through the population uncontrolled so we can achieve herd immunity ASAP. Health care treatment capacity and risk to health care workers makes that a very stupid plan. If hospitals are overwhelmed with patients and their staff is getting sick and dying it will result in a giant tide of deaths. We're talking potentially millions in the US alone.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep, it's 5 o'clock there.

Enjoy your weekend everybody. Put these silly notions and theories to rest and we can get back at it Monday morning. :toasting: