• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newb in Cali...Very Newb

Jebb209

Alrighty well I'm finally doing it... Getting into vinyl and other media! I'm stoked to join this forum and hope to learn from all of you. I'm very new to all of this... but basically I would like to start with some decals and vinyl wrap for my subaru club. After that it's endless. Any pointers?

Money is an object, but I don't mind spending a little more for quality. I don't quite know the difference between a plotter/cutter/laminator and whatnot so please be specific. Basically all I know is I'm willing to do what it takes to learn this trade and do it right. I have zero experience but am very intuitive.

I am very experienced in forums and have done some research on a few things. But please if anyone has a few minutes to answer a couple (probably simple to you) questions...

Any rave reviews on a afforable machine for my needs? (Hopefully not 10k)

Best media and sizes to use for vehicles

Best distributor for all the goodies

Any other web pages to learn vinyl and the specifics.

ANY tips/pointers for my task.

Thanks for reading!

Justin

Poconopete

Welcome from PA.
Go to school & learn design then get a job in the industry to gain experience and capitol then go out on your own in 10 years.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Yup. Sub yourself out to a busy shop. Learn on their dollar. Even as a intern, you'll learn alot.

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstading forum and people

when I started in signs.... I worked for for a guy who thought he was a sign painter ... but I realized I liked it.... went on my own cause he gave up.... then I realized after several months really didn't know what what I was doing ..... so went looking for a SCHOOL .

.. thats when I realized that I really wanted to be a sign craftsman

school is best, then a sign shop, now you know if you really want to go in this direction

if you just got software and computer experiance from HS ... well ya need alot more

hope this helps

BobM

Welcome from Cape Cod. :Welcome:

Starting from scratch without any background is going to be very difficult. You can contact merchant members on this site for packages that include hardware, software, and startup supplies. There are lots of very good books on layout and design as well as monthly magazines, and trade show seminars that will also help you, but the bottom line towards success is going to be working with a seasoned professional in the trade.

Anyone can turn on the cumputer, type in a layout and apply vinyl. You can pick those jobs out all over the place. Wrong size, layout, kerning, color combinations, the gammit. Very difficult to succeed and grow if your early layouts aren't up to standards

A couple of years of working in the trade and attending some formal training will give you a much better chance of success.

I started with a package kit and just did simple truck layouts part time for 5 years before starting full time a year ago. I had the advantage of watching and questioning a master sign painter, Eddie McCloud, for 20 years who used to come to our shop to letter bookmobiles. Then it was 20 years before I bought my first setup, but he drilled the fundamentals into me and I payed attention. I also attend the shows and seminars, read endlessly, and carefully watch the posts on this website.

When I look at some of my original work, I find mistakes that I wouldn't repeat today even though the customer was very happy. Every day is a learning experiance and you will need to gain that experiance.

One of my goals is learning hand lettering and pinstriping. Been practicing on my own following the "books" for a year now. I stop in and see a friend in the business and pick his brain about how best to do things. In a couple of weeks I wiil train with a master carver for 2 days. I can't tell you how important it is to work with pros.

Good luck and I hope you get as much from Signs 101 as I do.

PS: Become a contributing member of Signs 101.

Last edited:

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Hello,

And welcome from Texas.

I concur. If you can find a job in the industry, you will be miles ahead. It used to be called an apprenticeship. Don't go into debt. Work hard.

Welcome from Idaho!
I've been in the sign industry for 17 years now and haven't even started learning everything there is to know! I guess that's why I like this business...never a dull moment. I agree with getting a job in the industry first before you go out on your own. Look at it as getting paid to learn, then you can save some of your money for equipment (which is not cheap). You can learn how to use the equipment and then either pick up some decent deals on good used equipment to get started, then work your way up to new when you get your business underway.
It took me 3 years researching and subbing out digital printing before I actually bought my printer! I'm really glad I did that.
Good luck and I hope the advise here sends you in the right direction!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Any pointers?

I have zero experience.

I am very experienced in forums and have done some research on a few things.

But please if anyone has a few minutes to answer a couple (probably simple to you) questions...

Any rave reviews on a afforable machine for my needs? (Hopefully not 10k)

Best media and sizes to use for vehicles

Best distributor for all the goodies

Any other web pages to learn vinyl and the specifics.

ANY tips/pointers for my task.

Justin

Best advice, Get a job at a sign shop for a few years for starters...