• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newb in Cali...Very Newb

DTFuqua

Hi ya'll. I've been lurking around for awhile and and really need a real answer to the question that started this thread. I have one very large (not large in physical size, just importance) problem with the paths you guys/gals set forth ln your replies. My wife is disabled and has recently become very needy. IOWs, I have to stay with her to prevent her from getting hurt. This prevents me from almost all activities that take more than a few minutes away from her. But I still need to make a living. My best (although uneducated) plan is to start off with the cheep magnetic signs and banners with a little vehicle lettering and decals (logos mostly) for people that can come to my house. I also have a heat press (16X20) to do heat press vinyl for team shirts and such. I have corel X3 and corel unleashed to help with the learning curve. Next week, I'll be purchasing a Graphtec 24" cutter. Please take into account that I am fairly thin skinned lately and don't put me down, but I will greatly appreciate any help, tips, tricks, ideas (besides find another gig) I can get from you guys/gals. If you would rather not post something here, I don't mind a private email at " admanager@yahoo.com ".This email isn't from me starting this endeavour but way back in 90 something when I thought comercial email was gonna be big but decided I didn't want to continue something that so many would rather I didn't do to them. IOWs, I got flamed severly and repeatedly and I gave it up as so many people thought it was a detestable way to earn a living, so I'm not a bad person, just in a bad spot and won't even think of putting Cathy in a nursing home. So thank you and I hope I can get a few more ideas, tips, tricks, other than the ones I've gotten from reading so much already in this forum.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK to both of you!
Hi ya'll. ...My wife is disabled and has recently become very needy. IOWs, I have to stay with her to prevent her from getting hurt. This prevents me from almost all activities that take more than a few minutes away from her. But I still need to make a living.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. My wife is confined to an electric wheel chair and has to have my help when she gets in a jam.

You really need to get some lessons on composition. Your post would be more easily read if you started a new paragraph once in a while.

If I were either one of you, I would use the resources of this fine group to make the signs for you. That way you will get advice on sign design as well not having to invest in equipment. At this point, you may not even know for sure you want to continue with working in the sign industry. The competition is getting pretty rough and it is going to take some time to get established.

DTF Don't expect this to turn a profit anytime soon. My advise is to do what you know how to do and work in other possibilities as you get the time. Come to think of it, I need some spam work done....:toasting:

DTFuqua

Thanks Dale. I know I'll be a long time before making a wage much less making a profit. Sorry about the grammar, I have no real education except for what I've went after myself and while that is no excuse, proper grammar and letter writing have never been very high on my list of priorities. I have decided to move back to my mothers old home in Pensacola where I will be able to build a shop and open either a garage or towing service where I can have cars for sale on the premises. I don't have the talent to be a real sign shop but will continue to do the magnetic sign, banners, and decals as well as using my cutter to make graphics to enhance the appearance of some of the cars I will sell. I know OP will hate me but I won't really be any competition for him so maybe I'll get to meet and learn to like him. Maybe.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Signbydale and DTFuqua... it was tough reading this but i know how you both feel.

I also take care of my wife full time and is confined to bed most of the day, I do all the nursing care 24/7, plus I have 4 kids at home.

DTFugua, the biggest difference is I have been in the business for a while and built up relationships in the business to work from home. I still have to look for work but have learned how to do it carefully so i don't rely on too many people. You should probably start your own thread but getting a cutter is the best start, sub out your printing. find the time to learn the software but the biggest thing is find time to design and work up a profitable shop rate.

It's understandable that your pressures can bring a thinner skin, but don't let that get in the way of your progression. When your skin gets a little thicker, post your work up for critique. Go through the process of learning design and developing your eye. Most of all, if this is a creative release, nothing wrong with that, but make sure you have fun with it while taking advantage of some of the experience here.

DTFuqua

Thanks again Rick.You and dale both seem to have the disposition to be very good at whatever you decide to do. Me, I have ran from one thing to another to try and find a place (profession)for me to fit. I will never get rich doing anything because I have never stayed in one place long enough to build contacts worth keeping up with and am not the most aproachable person on the block. I've always been a car nut and even did the racing thing for awhile. Thats where the cutter will likely be most profitable to start with. I will do more reading and learning hopefully getting better as time goes on. have already suscribed to Sign Craft and will get the design book so often refered to on these forums. I already spend a lot of time reading here, a lot more than posting. Anyway. thank you and dale for being nice people, and also to all the other people here that are nice but not mentioned. I have learned the most important thing to know here and that is I need to learn a lot more. Good luck in the new year to you and your loved ones.
Terry

DTF i know it is hard at times to put our thoughts into words and to present them on the internet in the manner in which we intended them. from reading your posts they come across to me as if you are already looking to fail (to quote you "i will never get rich doing anything..." "i don't have the talent...", etc) i will guarantee you one thing...if you tell yourself those things that is what will happen. Do Not set out into ANY business venture without any other plan than to be successful. Now I am blessed to work with some friendly clients, friendly vendors, doing creative projects but those to me are all benefits...I am in business to make a profit and in my opinion that should be the goal of any business.

I get the feeling that you you are not committed to this venture, if that is the case take the time to do some research...find out who your competition is in your area, find something in this industry (or any other industry) that you can do better than your potential competition and charge an amount for those products and services that will make you profitable....take the time to do a business plan. This has become a very competitive industry...I dont want to blow smoke up your butt and I understand you are having a rough time and I dont want to discourage you but the reality is that MANY people enter this industry, many enter with no plan and no training....and MANY fail...in fact MANY people with training and incredible skills in the trade open their own shops and fail...and it doesnt sound like that would help your situation.

Just my unsolicited advice. If you are serious about making a go of it in this industry. Find a mentor in your area...be honest with them about your intentions of starting your own shop...offer to scrub their toilets, whatever they want in exchange for some real shop experience. Learn your design software and study good design (that doesnt necessarily mean you need to become an amazing artist but rather learn about proper space useage, basic color theory, complimentary useage of text,etc) and find an area in this industry that you can make a profit...don't try to be everything to everyone. There are many shops that detest working with realtors and "usually" the design demands from real estate companies are not very demanding...on the flip side they are demanding clients who tend to be extremely cost conscious...on the other side of that every realtor needs signs. I am not saying you should or should not build a business servicing realtors, i am just using it as an example.

Additionally, there are MANY people with printers and plotters, there are MANY people with printers and plotters who do not have enough work to keep them running. Try to find those people in your area...build relationships with them and send them your work, in the beginning it will be more profitable to do that than to buy materials and equipment..or maybe you can build a relationship with someone and pay them an hourly fee to use their equipment...just ideas. I have seen too many people with no experience and limited budgets go out and buy equipment they had no idea how to use and watched them waste a tremendous amount of money on materials trying to figure things out themselves...there are other options, there are better options, there are more affordable options...in fact there are profitable options.

good luck to you.

Rick you are a great man.

Deaton Design

I have the utmost respect for you that have family members that need to be cared for 24/7. My mother is disabled and in a wheelchair, and since my dad passed, my duties have risen quite a bit. God bless you both.
To the newbs, read everything and go out and get books on layout and design. If you are serious about making in this business, and it is very hard to do just that, you will need skills that help you make products that look good, and set you apart from others.
Too many people go into this business with the thought they will get rich quick from it, when they find out it doesnt work that way. Make sure from the get go that you charge prices that are competitive, but dont give it away, or try and beat everyones price just to get the business. Go to www.signcraft.com, subscribe to the magazine, and get a copy of the sign pricing guide to help you with your pricing. The magazine will also have many photos and articles that will help you greatly in areas of design and layout.
Just buying the equipment doesnt make you a signmaker. Well, it does, but how good of one you become has alot to do many things,some I mentioned above.
Good luck to you both.

DTFuqua

Thank you guys. And I guess I do sound like I'm more prepared for failure than I am success. I know I'm not the most committed person around (to anything but my wife). I'm really just wanting to "buy myself a job" with this business venture. I can't count on being able to do tomorrow the things I can do today so its kinda hard to make more of a commitment than I am making already. I am doing a lot of research and have the Signcraft subscription and 2009 pricing guide. I am looking to get the design principles book (can't remember the name for the life of me right now but know how to find it when ready to get one)mentioned a lot on these forums even though I get a lot of ideas of things I shouldn't do by reading these forums. There are also a lot of examples of good sign work to find here so I'm learning more whenever I can get time to browse the posts. I guess my biggest problem (besides my attitude) is that I don't know enough to know what questions I should be asking. I am limiting myself to cut vinyl, mostly in the automotive market, for the near future trying to not get too many irons in the fire to keep up with. Hopefully that will make the learning curve easier. Anyway, thanks again.
Terry