• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newb looking to learn about stickers. Eco solvent, I think?

Gamble

Hi everyone. I have a small vinyl cutter and mainly try to stick to single colors. I've done some layering with it also but try to avoid it.
I'm looking to learn more about doing more professional type stickers with multiple colors. Something I can print and cut with on the same printer. I think they are eco solvent printers? Someone correct me if I'm way off base. I know I'm a total FNG on this but I just know what direction I want to go.

All my vinyl work is pretty small considering it's only about 8" wide. Does anyone make a eco solvent printer/plotter or whatever I need in a small scale size like that? (or maybe a little wider, I don't need a 24" or larger machine based on the work I do. I'm also not looking into wrapping cars or anything like that)

So a little background on what I do. I do a lot of welded and cnc plasma stuff. Some stuff I do private label for other companies. And I got the plotter to offer customers their own decal with their parts along with mine. It's been great, but I am looking to step my game up and have things be a little more professional. I don't mind printing 1-5 at a time, but I definitely don't need to be making hundreds at a time.

Also do these types of stickers need to be laminated?

And I guess what's the least amount I can get my feet wet into this before dropping a larger investment?

Any help is appreciated and sorry if my lingo is off. Only been looking into this for a few days.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Start offering full color decals and sub out the job to a local print shop until you get an idea for the market. If it ends up failing, you don't stand to lose much. If it takes off, I would look for a used Roland SP-300V in good condition. That is a machine that a lot of people start on and then upgrade once they out grow the 30" size. It's a printer cutter and is one of the most reliable older machines out there. They generally go for between $3.5k and $5k depending on condition.

player

There are two ink/systems you will want to look at. They are Ecosol (solvent) and Latex.

The manufacturers you should start with are HP and Roland. HP= latex, Roland = ecosol.

You will need to laminate for many applications.

You will need what it called RIP software to print with. Unlike little inkjets, these printers need this RIP software, which can get pricey.

You will want to have a cutter that will read marks and then cut out your prints.

I think you would want to look at the Roland printers, as they can come with a built in printer for print/cut, and they come with a really decent RIP program called Versaworks.

A used 30" Roland print/cut machine would be a good start. Or 54" if you want to do anything larger or 4' x 8' stuff.

Good luck!

Gamble

Start offering full color decals and sub out the job to a local print shop until you get an idea for the market. If it ends up failing, you don't stand to lose much. If it takes off, I would look for a used Roland SP-300V in good condition. That is a machine that a lot of people start on and then upgrade once they out grow the 30" size. It's a printer cutter and is one of the most reliable older machines out there. They generally go for between $3.5k and $5k depending on condition.
Thought about subbing it out but I hate waiting on others. I'll feel things out a big

There are two ink/systems you will want to look at. They are Ecosol (solvent) and Latex.

The manufacturers you should start with are HP and Roland. HP= latex, Roland = ecosol.

You will need to laminate for many applications.

You will need what it called RIP software to print with. Unlike little inkjets, these printers need this RIP software, which can get pricey.

You will want to have a cutter that will read marks and then cut out your prints.

I think you would want to look at the Roland printers, as they can come with a built in printer for print/cut, and they come with a really decent RIP program called Versaworks.

A used 30" Roland print/cut machine would be a good start. Or 54" if you want to do anything larger or 4' x 8' stuff.

Good luck!
So say I want to make bumper stickers or outdoor window stickers. Would I use one type of ink over the other? And how do you know which needs to be laminated and which do not?

So stupid question. This roland or any of the high end machines will print and cut, then after that do I laminate then cut it again to cut out the laminate?

You can also try a Roland BN-20 which is a 20 inch desktop printer/cutter too.
That sounds like a perfect size. I assume it doesn't have software that I need?

T_K

All my vinyl work is pretty small considering it's only about 8" wide. Does anyone make a eco solvent printer/plotter or whatever I need in a small scale size like that? (or maybe a little wider, I don't need a 24" or larger machine based on the work I do.

If 24" is too large for you, you don't need to be buying a printer. Shop around and find someone you can sub out to at a reasonable cost.

Also do these types of stickers need to be laminated?

Depends on the application. Exposed ink will scratch off, and can be damaged by solvents like alcohol or windex. Lamination provides durability and protection, including from the sun.[/QUOTE]

And I guess what's the least amount I can get my feet wet into this before dropping a larger investment?

Again, look at subbing out your work. This won't make you as much profit, but you can do it for a while and decide if it could be profitable for you to buy the equipment yourself. Printing is not a cheap industry to get into if you're trying to do everything in house. You've got a drop a lot of money up front, or figure out how to build your capacity piece by piece.

Gamble

Thanks for the response. It's not that 24" is too large, it's just that I don't see myself making stickers that are that large. Maybe many smaller ones side by side though.

Whats a good laminator? I'd like to start researching those too

Thanks for the response. It's not that 24" is too large, it's just that I don't see myself making stickers that are that large. Maybe many smaller ones side by side though.

Whats a good laminator? I'd like to start researching those too

Believe it or not, you can use a Big Squeegee laminator tool to get you started before investing into a roll to roll laminator machine. It will cost under $100 and there is a slight learning curve, but all you would need is a smooth, flat table, a little practice and you're all set. You can laminate anything up to 30" wide with no problems. You will get some silvering of the laminate but it goes away in less than 24 hours.

Gamble

Believe it or not, you can use a Big Squeegee laminator tool to get you started before investing into a roll to roll laminator machine. It will cost under $100 and there is a slight learning curve, but all you would need is a smooth, flat table, a little practice and you're all set. You can laminate anything up to 30" wide with no problems. You will get some silvering of the laminate but it goes away in less than 24 hours.
So almost the same as putting a transfer film on my vinyl?

I think i'm looking hardcore into the roland bn-20 and found a place selling a refurb for $6k

is it true you can't let these sit unused for more than a few days?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
There is liquid laminates like frog juice too..

Frog Juice? The only valid use I've ever found for this crap is coating a piece of MDF so vinyl would stick to it.

There are some really good iquid laminates but Frog juice isn't one of them. I use Clear Shield nee 'original formula' now 'classic'. It's superior to the vinyl laminates I've tried. The liquid's UV protection is far better. I have actual results to back up this statement.The vinyl laminates seem to break down long before the print underneath ever does. Not the case with a good water based liquid laminate. The liquids provide acceptable abrasion protection but certainly not the same as vinyl. Regardless, bullets won't bounce off either liquid or vinyl. Of late I laminate very seldom and only in very special cases. I do it so rarely anymore that I can't think up a single special case. Probably could if given enough time.