Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newb Questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by kuntry_kid, Jul 12, 2008.

1. kuntry_kid

kuntry_kid New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I have been reading threads and trying to search for info so I don't have to re-post, but I am still confused on something.

I have read some people just use AI and others say you can't do it all with AI you have to have a "co-cut." I do not know what a co-cut is. Is this just a snap-in for AI or a completely seperate program to send info to the cutter after creating the work in AI.

Also, does anybody have any suggestions on good books that give a good overview of different types of signs, vinyl, app methods, etc..... I ahve found this book VINYL SIGN TECHNIQUES at this link: http://www.corbingraphics.com/bookssignmaking.htm Has anyone used/read this book?

Tags:
  2. cOrKinSA

cOrKinSA Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2006
    I never read it but I think they might have it at Herwecks. Did you ever go check out that place?
    While you are there pick up some issues of Signcraft and also head to Amazon to go order the Mike Steven's book.

3. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    Depends on the cutter. The newer Graphtecs can cut directly from AI. Other makes do this also.
    Ken

4. kuntry_kid

kuntry_kid New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I have not had a chance to get down there. I will try to soon.

5. kuntry_kid

kuntry_kid New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    That will work out then. I am looking at the Graphtec CE5000-60 (24") to get me started with basic stuff.

The thing I am debating is whether or not to upgrade to AI C3. I have C2 education edition, but from reading a post on here I may have problems doing an upgrade with the education one.

6. Dave Drane

Dave Drane Very Active Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Graphtec, make very good plotters. They are a Mac truck compared to some of the others. Remember, you get what you pay for.

7. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    Not sure about the upgrading question. I run C3 with my Graphtec. If I remember correctly, I downloaded the plug-in off the graphtec site. Works great.

Too bad I can't sell my LXi software back to Sign Warehouse. Salesman said I had to have a bridge, absolutely no way around it...gee, thanks.

Lesson learned...don't be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes it is worth a little flaming from the experienced folks to sort through the BS.

8. high impact

high impact Very Active Member

You will be fine with Graphtec but the FC is worth the additional cash IF you can figure it in your budget.

Graphtec's plug-in should work but I don't use it so I can't be any help there. Good luck. Ask a lot of questions and don't worry about a few flames here or there!

9. kuntry_kid

kuntry_kid New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Thanks all for the input.

What is FC?

10. cOrKinSA

cOrKinSA Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2006
  11. zgraphics

zgraphics Member

Dec 10, 2007
    you if you want to see some vinyl action, try youtube.com, just punch in Vinyl Signs or Vinyl application? Good luck and welcome to the forum.