• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie from MA

Shortstuff

Just want to say Hello! I'm retired and have a few years of graphics under my belt and am thinking about purchasing a desktop vinyl cutter, probably 12" should suit me just fine.

I've spent the past couple of weeks getting a few severe headaches trying to learn as much as I can before I even think about making a purchase and to say that I am confused would be an understatement. I've found so many different brands and prices and yes, I agree that you get what you pay for, but I'm not rolling in a lot of cash either. I'm going to have to start with a used cutter and I'll make an appropriate post under "wanted".

I want to be able to make my designs using my existing CorelDraw and be able to send the information to the cutter. And yes, my artwork can be quite detailed and intricate.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've already found more information here in these forums than I have in the past two weeks of searching online.

You guys are really helpful!

Thanks in advance: Steve

Ken

HI Steve.
Welcome from BC.
The Stika 12 inch cutter ( Roland)may be where you want to start, but it really wont help you with finely detailed graphics that you speak of.
Try to find a lightly used name brand machine in the 24 inch size.( Roland, Graphted, Mutoh)
Take my word for it. Once you discover that a Stika 12 can cut 9 3/4 inch letters, you'll be thinking about doing 4 x 8 signs. The Stika wont be very good at that. Bin der..dundat
Best of luck!
Ken

Last edited:

OldPaint

jeesus shorty....3 posts, all about the same thing. little ADD goin here)))))).retired military....which one or is it one of those military secrets that if ya tell us you will have ta kill us??))))))))))i did my military stint in loring maine.

Shortstuff

jeesus shorty....3 posts, all about the same thing. little ADD goin here)))))).retired military....which one or is it one of those military secrets that if ya tell us you will have ta kill us??))))))))))i did my military stint in loring maine.
Ok, now I'm confused.

Have I done something wrong here?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK
We just would like to know where you are from. What branch of the service? Many of us have been there done that. It is a little distracting to give only partial information.

I'm originally from Utah and spent 10 years in the USAF.

PS I see now that you are from MA. Why didn't you put that in "location" instead of "retired Military"?

Shortstuff

Sorry... It was quite late last night when I joined and I must have mis-read the "fill in the blank" fields (there were quite a few).

I'm living in Massachusetts, retired Marine and seriously considering doing some vinyl stickers as a hobby.

Thanks for the welcomes! :thumb:

Steve

signage

Welcome from PA to the forums. If you are planning on making little decals a cutter is not necessarily the correct choice, cutting & weeding small text can be problematic!

JR's

I would go with, 15"or 24" slightly used plotter, you will have more option with materials.
Good Luck