• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie Getting Beat up!

redrubi

Hello everyone

I'm a complete newbie to cutting vinyl but have developed a niche market for some cut vinyl products. However, I am getting beatup on vinyl prices. I ordered from fe$$er$ and got hammered with $3.30 a yard for Oracle 751. I asked the guy at the counter if I could speak to someone about wholesale pricing and he told me the prices are the same for everyone. I have a tough time believing that one.

Going to cheaper materials is not an option as I will not sacrifice a developing reputation or the quality of my products.

Mail order is cheaper but in some instances I need to obtain the materials ASAP and cannot wait for several days shipping or absorb the extra cost of expedited shippping.

Please HELP!!!!!! And thanks in advance.

Ted

Flame

Howdy.

Mind sharing the color and width of the 751 you are talkin about? For 15 inch that sounds a bit high, for 24", a bit low.

Buy more than a couple yards at a time and it will save you a few bucks.

DPD

You're trying to cut corners by a few cents here and there.

You may want to consider what your margins are rather than saving a few cents on vinyl.

N2Harpz

What size? ... We use 24".

10 Yards of Black 751 (24") at Fellers in the catalog is $49.50. .....
50 yards is $174.50

It is the same if they deliver or we pick it up.

jiarby

Yep, a 15"x10yd roll of Blk 751 costs $33.00 in the catalog.

How cheap do you need it to be?? 651 is about 45% less.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You really need to relate any price on sheet or film stock to a square foot rate.

Assuming that you are buying roll stock and not a yard at a time, black and white 751 should be in the range of 55¢ to 75¢ a square foot. Color around 10¢ a square foot higher. Obviously shorter rolls will be priced higher than longer rolls.

high impact

Make sure you are not beating yourself up by not charging enough to make a profit and cover costs. Fellers is a great supplier.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA....................

Maybe try buying more at a time and getting a roll discount.

Or-r-r-r...............perhaps someone at the counter is pocketing it for 'Chump Change' and doesn't think you know enough to check. Go online and check out their site and see what the stated cost for exactly what you're talking about really is.

redrubi

Thanks everyone,

Maybe I'm just being to much of a penny pincher. :Big Laugh Their prices were somewhat of a shock compared to others I have been using when purchasing in smaller quantities.

Any other recommendations on wholesale suppliers?

Ted

flisk

Thanks everyone,

Maybe I'm just being to much of a penny pincher. :Big Laugh Their prices were somewhat of a shock compared to others I have been using when purchasing in smaller quantities.

Any other recommendations on wholesale suppliers?

Ted

why then change to them if you were getting it cheaper elsewhere?

and who were you getting oracal 751 from for less than that a yard?

TheSnowman

I've found fellers to be the cheapest on prob. 99% of everything I order now. I can't believe your buyin' it cheaper somewhere else, unless you aren't buying a whole roll. Also, you said you can't wait on shipping, but I always have my stuff next day if I get the order in by 4:00, so, I don't know why your havin' so much more trouble...maybe I'm missing part of the story.

redrubi

I was looking for a local supplier as opposed to ordering it from California cuz it takes a week to get here. I purchased it from Ordway ( http://www.signsupply.com ) and received free shipping with over a $100 order. $25.95 for 10 yard roll of white and colors are $28.95.

junray

Funny, I was just about to post Ordway, it seems that they are a lot cheaper. But then again, if I ever order from them. I have to pay for tax.

zgraphics

Try using Shinerite vinly, it's a 6 yr vinyl, works great and weed very easy. I get it for 34.00 per roll, 15 inch unpunch by 50 yds. It's sounds cheap but works great. good luck email me if you have any questions z.graphics@sbcglobal.net

weaselboogie

What kind of niche market is this? Maybe you're in the wrong market. If this pricing is this competative, maybe it's not quite a 'niche' and more of an 'oversaturation'.