• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie has a question

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If you were to charge a person for a whole sheet of mdo even if they only used 1/4 it. Then the customer asked you for the remainder of the sheet to take home with them. Would you give it to them at no extra charge.... I think not.

Think again.

I certainly would, and have. I make no bones about it to the client if they have to buy a whole sheet of something. They know this up front and they're welcome to cart off the remainder. They paid for it. Having them take it with them means that I don't have to find a place to store it.

If some particular substrate available only in full size sheets became a significant portion of my business I'd consider selling it by the half sheet but never anything smaller than that. MDO is a minuscule player in my shop. I'll use it only if threatened with violence. And then if and only if I can get it pre-coated ready to use. If not, sorry, I've better things to do with my time.

andy

If I want to buy stuff like Plexiglas I'm limited to a full or half sheet. My suppliers don't offer to supply by the sq ft.

If you want a colour I don't have I'm down for a half sheet at the minimum. If this costs me £100 and your sq ft books out at £30 I'm subsidising your piece of plex to the tune of £70. The only hope I've got of seeing the missing £70 and any profits are if I can find someone else who wants the exact same colour as you do and hopefully sizes which fit the offcut left from your "job". This could take years.

Nearly all our work is sheet based and minimum size is 8 x4. If you want the offcut you are welcome. I want profit not racks and racks of odd sized materials in all the colours of the rainbow.

imaSIGNr

I see your point bob.....I run a much smaller business and I do keep and use pieces of mdo....If I were only dealing in large scale signs I would feel different I guess. Pieces do get in the way but I don't like to waste either.It's just different for some of us...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It doesn’t really matter if you’re a larger shop or working out of your kitchen, you charge what the market will bear in your area.

We basically charge by the full sheet if you go an inch over 48”. Under that and they get charged for a half sheet. Yes, it then goes into inventory…. WHY ??? Because we have the room, can do it and our reputation along with our customers know this about us and like us for doing this.

The remainder that sits on our shelves from full or half sheet cutoffs… become our ‘GRAVY’. Next guy that comes in for a 2’ x 3’ sign pays for the half sheet again. Hm-m-m-m, sounds like I hear a ka-ching ka-ching in the background.

If you’re not doing this to some extent, you’re looney.

bob, even if you had a little closet, you would become an inventory keeper of cut-offs and make more money. Whether or not you consider this custom made signs [goods] or off the shelf [mass produced], doesn’t enter into this. Call it whatever you like… making money and getting paid for your work is all that matters, as long as you don’t cheat anyone.

If I had to trot out for every sign order we did… I’d be trotting all day long with out getting any signs finished. So let me ask you this bob…. If you get two 3’ x 4’ signs on the same day, do you trot to your supplier on two separate occasions or get both pieces at once. Oops, how stupid of me, you could get this all out of one piece, so do you only make one trip and pick up one piece ?? Hmm, not according to what you said. Next, if today your customer orders a 2’ x 3’ two sided sign and you trot down to the wood store and come back and there is someone waiting to talk to you and you talk them into a 3’ x 4’ sign… do you turn right around and go get their piece down at the wood store.

I’m not making light or fun of this bob, but you described it in a fashion that doesn’t make sense to me. I’m sure there are all kinds of scenarios that can take place, but your theory just doesn’t cut it, across the board.

threeputt

With you, Gino.

Also, consider, MDO or plexiglass doesn't have a shelf life. Doesn't go bad like vinyl rolls can.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I’m not making light or fun of this bob, but you described it in a fashion that doesn’t make sense to me. I’m sure there are all kinds of scenarios that can take place, but your theory just doesn’t cut it, across the board.

Perhaps I didn't explain it clearly.

I do pretty much as you do with the exception that if I don't happen to have any of something and have to buy a full sheet, then that full sheet is charged against that job, or jobs if circumstances permit. Alumalite, Dibond, and, gag, MDO fall into that category. Some things I keep on hand, like coroplast and Sintra and I treat these as expensed items just like app tape or knife blades. I also keep significant scraps around, at least until I get tired of stumbling over them, and should the occasion arise to use one of them I charge pretty much the half sheet price as do you. More often than not I have something laying around that will do. But in those cases where I do not, it's the whole sheet.

One thing I will not do is maintain any of my capital in an inventory of partial sheet goods. Period. Most of the time I can arrange things so it's not a concern.