• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie: is it alright if I post about...

phototec

$16995 - reasonable and roll-based = easier to automate label application.

Yep, the way to go...

I have been in the graphics business all my life, started out setting hand set type and running a letterpress in high school, then offset presses, silk screen, and onto the digital age wide format inkjet printers today.

Looking over what you are trying to accomplish, I'm pretty sure you don't need a wide format inkjet printer, but actually an automated roll to roll printer like the RAPID X1, and accompany that with a roll to roll laminator and die cutter, to print laminate, and die cut your chip inserts.

The fine detail in the small chip inserts needs to be printed at a high resolution, and if you try to get that quality on a wide format printer, it will be very slow, the RAPID X1 prints high resolution images very fast, the X1 prints 1600x800 images at 60 feet per minute.

:thumb:

Custom_Grafx

Yep, the way to go...

I have been in the graphics business all my life, started out setting hand set type and running a letterpress in high school, then offset presses, silk screen, and onto the digital age wide format inkjet printers today.

Looking over what you are trying to accomplish, I'm pretty sure you don't need a wide format inkjet printer, but actually an automated roll to roll printer like the RAPID X1, and accompany that with a roll to roll laminator and die cutter, to print laminate, and die cut your chip inserts.

The fine detail in the small chip inserts needs to be printed at a high resolution, and if you try to get that quality on a wide format printer, it will be very slow, the RAPID X1 prints high resolution images very fast, the X1 prints 1600x800 images at 60 feet per minute.

:thumb:

Now we're talking ;)

i've helped design and construct multiple custom printing solutions, from direct screenprinting on baseball bats, to skateboards and snowboards (all very challenging projects each in unique ways because of the complex shapes involved) to in house product labeling and automated application from everything to simple flat custom packaging to crazy custom packaging of all shapes and materials and even "badges" on an automobile production line.

as far as the printing is concerned the x1 is a good printing option. custom die cutting can be added very easily, it is not complex 'technology'..but can become as complex as a customer wants it to be (i have seen some wild almost 'rube goldberg' configurations lol).

there are also flatbed plotters and static cutting tables used more commonly in other industries that can cut through the vinyl backing paper (yes there are a few roll-fed plotters that can cut through the backing, however, in my experience it is very hard on the machine (not to mention that it eats up blades) and i wouldnt want to do so on an all-day/every-day basis...additionally, i have never been overly excited with the quality of the cut.

all of the solutions would really depend on the volume (or projected volume), it just would not make sense from a cost perspective to completely automate the process if the production volume is not there.

there are SO many ways to accomplish this project...and a whole lot of questions that would need to be answered, the biggest one being how much is the op prepared to invest into this configuration?