• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie: is it alright if I post about...

Custom_Grafx

Correct.

There are some xerox compatible stocks available too these days.

With xerox, you also have the option of printing onto non adhesive stock, then backing with sheet adhesive, then cutting.

You also have the option of applying pre cut disc adhesive to the inlay area, then automating the non adhesive printed inlay to that spot.

If you're very keen on in-house, and money isn't a big issue, you can speak to a rotary die manufacturer who will guide you in setting up your own in house die cutting system (and they can manufacture a solid steel rotary cutting die for you as per your specs).

Doing hundreds of thousands of cuts a day is quite typical for such dies. On a one foot die, you could have 10 across with maybe 3 or 4 around the circumference. That's 30 or 40 discs in one revolution. One revolution = a fraction of a second.

I'm not sure how many you intend on making a day... but I'd say if you want to make more than a few thousand a day, in the quickest and cheapest way possible, it's worth looking into die cutting.

CheapVehicleWrap

I don't see the quality being anywhere near what you're having done the proper way now. And you're adding a ton of labor. Hopefully I'm wrong and best on your venture.

@CheapVehicleWrap

The labeled chip is a product we can offer at half the cost to meet demand for promotional purposes. The dye-sub chips aren't going anywhere.

Tim Aucoin

Welcome to S101 Chase! I also think you have a very nice business there. Very professional, and definitely a market out there for custom chips. Does your company sell the blank inlay chips?

iSign

maybe you could focus on chips & pay a professional to focus on your prints?

Nice video by the way... makes fun of folks like us, to help you eliminate folks like us... (after we help you) ...no hard feelings, but I think you must have overlooked providing the correct responses in your membership application, in order to slip through the cracks as just another potential decal client dodging the costs of paying for your decals.

I wish you the best. Like many others, I did enjoy the video, but I think you represent the other side of the fine line between who this site is intended to help, and who it isn't... but not my call...

iSign

...I think you must have overlooked providing the correct responses in your membership application, in order to slip through the cracks as just another potential decal client dodging the costs of paying for your decals...

... but not my call...

upon further reflection, I think I will retract my statement, or rephrase it. I could still edit it, but for the sake of taking responsibility for my words, I will just add to it...

...since, as I say, "it's not my call" I shouldn't have assumed that you must have overlooked providing accurate responses on your membership...

...instead I will assume, that just as your opening introduction recognizes the fringe territory where your business resides, that your application did as well, and that fine line I mentioned?... well, welcome aboard, it seems that the powers that be have affirmed that you do fall on the 'us' side of the great "us & them" divide... :thumb:

I'm sure you have years of hard work invested in your business model.

Can you tell us where to buy these chips at the lowest costs, and just how profitable they are?

Can you shed some light on who the target market is, how best to reach them, and what kind of price points would be appropriate to try to competitively tap into some of this potential market?

Is your design software template based? Do you have any tips on how best to replicate that?

@ iSign

Fair enough. I've been trying to answer everyone's questions of me so that it doesn't appear like I'm just trolling/taking from the forum.

A lot of ABS/molded products that are sold in the U.S. come from China--specifically Zhejiang. We charge around $1 per chip retail.

Reach your target audience.

That's a big question, but ultimately our strategy is quite simple. We have an internet only marketing strategy centered around organic and paid search. There is also a "network effect" created when people can design and then share designs on our site. When people go to their computers looking for a niche product like customer poker chips, promotional coins, drink tokens, etc. we simply want to have the best product presented in the best way (designer tools). To do that, we've decided to get in to the printing industry for one type of chip with the goal of offering a 24-hour turnaround on the product.

The designer application is template based. We can upload any vector artwork in to the software and create a template from it. From there we attach it to a product type and activate it on our marketplace. Duplicating? That's the tough part. I started this in 2006 and I'm still working on the software. Bigger players including Zazzle and CafePress--two companies that have invested literally millions in to similar business models.

Respectfully,

Chase Schwatka

natedawg9640

I vote xerox. Set up a shell file that you print a nested group on 8.5x11 or 11x17 label stock. then when you have a big stack of prints, have them die cut. super cheap stock, fast, easy, and you can do a lot in a very short about of time. That will be extremely inexpensive compared to print lam cut vinyl options. you could have the sheets hot laminated before you di-cut them if lamination is required.

10sacer

Why not make a large 6x10 foot jig and direct print them with a flatbed that has varnish and/or white ink. The distance from the head to the inlay can't be beyond 1mm so you would not get a huge amount of ink displacement. Send me some chips and I'll show you what I mean and take a video of them printing. Should work in theory - could fall apart. i don't know, but its worth a try.

Other option would be a flexo type of HP Indigo to print decals digitally. Very high quality and cheap per piece price.

Last edited:
@ 10sacer

I have looked at the Indigo series and considered flat bed alternatives, but both may be out of our price-range and quite honestly will exceed our requirement of 1-2M labels per year (or about 4-5K per day).

I also have workflow concerns. A line of sticker output that can be die-cut with a rotary wheel is very appealing. From there it's a function of assembly which is a beast in itself.

That said, I'm open to creative ideas so if you shoot me your address in a PM I'll send out samples today!

Chase

The output would be reeled then sent to a separate laminator and then then to a separate die cutter.

Rapid Label Systems only sells the labeler and they don't seem to have any particular preference for laminator but I'm sure anything would work.

Too many print heads? New tech? Efficient? Not UV curable? These are my concerns so far, but the thing sure is fast!

I also just ran a search and did find some info on memjet through search so sorry for the double post.

HulkSmash

The output would be reeled then sent to a separate laminator and then then to a separate die cutter.

Rapid Label Systems only sells the labeler and they don't seem to have any particular preference for laminator but I'm sure anything would work.

Too many print heads? New tech? Efficient? Not UV curable? These are my concerns so far, but the thing sure is fast!

I also just ran a search and did find some info on memjet through search so sorry for the double post.

Im pretty sure that thing is stupid expensive. I think it can do much more then what you're wanting...