• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

newbie looking for help with equipment selection : laminator and trimmer

mapmaker

Greetings!

We're brand new to the industry & are seeking recommendations for finishing of large format prints. We have never owned or even operated a laminator & don't want to attend a vocational school to master it.

We'll be seeking out a wide format laminator capable of 60" or wider & will be running sheets of up to 7 feet through it. We intend to encapsulate paper prints from a canon ipf & would like the ability to do single sided laminating as well. At this point I'm still unsure if a cold laminator would get it done for us, or if we should only be considering hot roll laminators.

What are the main differences in levels of laminators, such as entry level versus professional production? does it mostly come down to the foot per second speed of operation? What are the other bells and whistles?

What is the learning curve like on mastering the laminating process? Just seems like a fine time to make a costly mistake during the process.

We'll also be acquiring a large format trimmer setup to handle these & I'm also unsure what the best arrangement might be; to go with a stand alone and expensive trimmer unit, going the route of a big ruler and blade, or somewhere in between such as a ruler guided safety blade unit.

We'd researched to death the idea of going the route of a latex print system with the hopes it would afford us to skip the whole laminating process, but we worry we're cutting ourselves too short if we don't have the capability to laminate.

I'd be interested to hear recommendations either way, such as avoid this one (Daige SOLO?) or we've had great luck with this, or this one was very easy to learn... I'd tried some searches on the forum, but didn't see anyone asking such basic questions. If there are some other information resources to suggest, please by all means point me to them.

Cheers!