Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needing Mimaki CJV150-75 Help

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by DAPHNE WILSON, May 25, 2020.

1. DAPHNE WILSON

DAPHNE WILSON New Member

May 21, 2020
    Douglasville
    So in January I purchased a Mimaki CJV 150-75 for my in home business. Before purchasing I inquired about the ink and fumes (my fault for listening to a dumb salesperson) and I was assured all will be well. Well I'm 4 months in and I love the printer/cutter but the smells are horrible. I was considering selling it because it's so new and investing in a different printer with less hazardous chemicals and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions? I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Also, I paid for the machine outright so do you think it's worth it to sell or try to vent the room? I'm just at a loss on what to do. I can't work int he room while it's printing because the eco-solvent ink combined with whatever paper I'm use gives me an instant headache. So I print and leave the room which slows everything down.

Thanks for the advice or suggestions in advance.

Tags:
  2. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    What Ink do you use? SS21 or ES3?

3. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ewded

ewded Member

Aug 28, 2017
    UK
    Eco sol is eco sol, no matter what printer/ brand of ink you use, the carrier liquid has a certain smell to it, there is very little difference between manufacturers as the base formula is the same (it needs to dissolve the top layer of the PVC)

Latex ink smells differently but never had a chance to sniff a working latex printer. UV ink stinks very badly.

5. DAPHNE WILSON

DAPHNE WILSON New Member

May 21, 2020
    Douglasville
    SS21

6. DAPHNE WILSON

DAPHNE WILSON New Member

May 21, 2020
    Douglasville
    I guess I'm more concerned with if it is hazardous or not because the research I've on on eco solvent is it's less hazardous but the eco isn't really saying it's ecologically friendly.

7. DAPHNE WILSON

DAPHNE WILSON New Member

May 21, 2020
    Douglasville
  8. ewded

ewded Member

Aug 28, 2017
    UK
    Eco solvent ink is perfectly eco once it dries, it is not very healthy while it dries (for men especially). When I asked my tech he said he drinks milk every day (probably for the calcium), so you're not crazy having health concerns. Fortunately my printer is in a huge room, but I always make sure it's well ventillated and try not to stay too long in next to it as I feel dizzy after a while as well.

Like Notarealsignguy says you can buy an air filter or make an exhaust system which reduces the fume exposure, but will not eliminate it completely.

9. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    There is an additional ink available from Mimaki, the ES3-ink. ES3 is a little bit more expensive than the SS21, and you wont get Orange and Light Black for it, but it should not smell as strong as the SS21.

10. DAPHNE WILSON

DAPHNE WILSON New Member

May 21, 2020
    Douglasville
    Thank you

11. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Doesn’t matter what type of printer you get, they all seem to have pretty distinct smells. From the solvents to the latex. Though I’m pretty sure it’s not the actual latex ink that smells, more the vinyl cooking lol

12. DustyCanine

DustyCanine Terd Ferguson

Nov 14, 2017
    Cleveland TN
    they both reek.