Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help with backlit sign

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by dstees, Dec 8, 2009.

1. dstees

dstees New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Im about to make my first sign faces for our business. I have a 4x8 box with 5 tubes. The sign faces are going to be black with maroon letters with a white outline around the letters. Question is: How do I go about doing this? Here is my thinking so far:

Using a clear signface:

1. mask the letters and outline seperatly.
    2. paint black background with krylon fusion.
    3. remove outline masking and paint white with krylon fusion.
    4. remove letter masking and apply maroon translucent vinyl.

Will that work? Thanks!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    :banghead:

well i see a few issues but i'll stick to the question asked.

myself here is what i would do (again sticking to the ? asked)

i would cut black vinyl removing the text and outline and apply wet to WHITE polycarb.

i would then cut the text and apply...

again just sticking to the question(s) asked ignoring the other issue(s)

3. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Hire a SIGN COMPANY to do it. Krylon? LOL! Back-painting would be the best, since you have no idea how to do it and don't have the right equipment you better use vinyl on white polycarb.

DO NOT USE KRYLON! you are not painting lawnchairs. ARE YOU SERIOUS?

4. Poconopete

Poconopete Very Active Member

Feb 23, 2007
    oppps

5. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Right, they make this stuff called translucent film. It is for back-lit signage. Maroon and black? You might want to think about that too!

6. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    NO. you need a real spray booth and real spray tools to paint a sign face. a spray can of paint will not do it and it will look like crap. do it like Dan suggested and it will look good.

7. dstees

dstees New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I am aware of translucent vinyl. so you guys are saying use a white face and apply trans. vinyl on the outside?

8. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    yes - with 4x8 I would use sign-white lexan, and add a hangar rail

9. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Cover it with black trans, it will look great. Use black trans so the finish matches the maroon, and the black is opaque, more so than normal film.

10. dstees

dstees New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    what should i do with the seam in the black?

11. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    use 4' vinyl and hand-cut the shape is what I would do (without a 48"+ plotter) - should take 1/2 hour

12. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I don't think black vinyl will permit a seam to show through, besides I would use 48" vinyl to begin with. Use the appropriate materials to do the job and do it right. You don't want to look like some schmuck to your potential clients when they walk up to your building...... do you ??

I'm sure you'll work out all the answers and do this thing the way you want... whether it be painting or floating vinyl on it, but I would like to find out why you chose maroon and black for your color combination on a backlit sign ??

No one will see it during the day and probably even less people will see it at night. Remember, people are not staring at a computer screen.... they're looking at your sign from a distance.

13. dstees

dstees New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    maroon and black are the colors the company has used since day 1. i cant change that. i am going to use trans. vinyl on white acrylic.

thanks for all the help!

14. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    trans black would show a seam, but opaque prob. wouldn't

15. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    use 48" material. if you don't have access to that, sub out and have it cut.