• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie needs help with backlit sign

dstees

Im about to make my first sign faces for our business. I have a 4x8 box with 5 tubes. The sign faces are going to be black with maroon letters with a white outline around the letters. Question is: How do I go about doing this? Here is my thinking so far:

Using a clear signface:

1. mask the letters and outline seperatly.
2. paint black background with krylon fusion.
3. remove outline masking and paint white with krylon fusion.
4. remove letter masking and apply maroon translucent vinyl.

Will that work? Thanks!

Attachments

• test sign.jpg
    test sign.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 183
:banghead:

well i see a few issues but i'll stick to the question asked.

myself here is what i would do (again sticking to the ? asked)

i would cut black vinyl removing the text and outline and apply wet to WHITE polycarb.

i would then cut the text and apply...

again just sticking to the question(s) asked ignoring the other issue(s)

Mosh

Hire a SIGN COMPANY to do it. Krylon? LOL! Back-painting would be the best, since you have no idea how to do it and don't have the right equipment you better use vinyl on white polycarb.

DO NOT USE KRYLON! you are not painting lawnchairs. ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Mosh

Right, they make this stuff called translucent film. It is for back-lit signage. Maroon and black? You might want to think about that too!

Marlene

Will that work? Thanks!

NO. you need a real spray booth and real spray tools to paint a sign face. a spray can of paint will not do it and it will look like crap. do it like Dan suggested and it will look good.

dstees

I am aware of translucent vinyl. so you guys are saying use a white face and apply trans. vinyl on the outside?

Mosh

Cover it with black trans, it will look great. Use black trans so the finish matches the maroon, and the black is opaque, more so than normal film.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think black vinyl will permit a seam to show through, besides I would use 48" vinyl to begin with. Use the appropriate materials to do the job and do it right. You don't want to look like some schmuck to your potential clients when they walk up to your building...... do you ??

I'm sure you'll work out all the answers and do this thing the way you want... whether it be painting or floating vinyl on it, but I would like to find out why you chose maroon and black for your color combination on a backlit sign ??

No one will see it during the day and probably even less people will see it at night. Remember, people are not staring at a computer screen.... they're looking at your sign from a distance.

dstees

maroon and black are the colors the company has used since day 1. i cant change that. i am going to use trans. vinyl on white acrylic.

thanks for all the help!