• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie Needs Help

charlie3238

Hey Guys, I`m new to the business mainly doing SIMPLE signs and banners. My question is about logos and designs from the internet...I KNOW all about copyright laws and I`m not planning on setting up a stand selling "knockoff" stickers. I have a friend who is a BIG pittsburgh steelers thats in the hospital and she`d love it if I could make her a steelers sticker like the one i attached to this message. I`m using Coreldraw X4 and Flexistarter to cut vinyl. How do I get the logo setup in X4 to make it cut properly? Thanks for your help!! Charlie

Attachments

• pink steelers.jpg
    pink steelers.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 58

Techman

its kind of hard to teach any one how to cut something we cannot legally use. This board is a place of learning how to make signs. Not how to cut a copyrighted logo.

OneUpTenn

Well you import it from whatever program you have it in, then do trace bitmap, then clean it up a bit, then send it to your cutter. This would be for any design other than a copyrighted design.

How are you doing simple signs and banners if you do not know how to complete this process? Not trying to bash you or anything....but it sounds to me like you need a little "education" in this business.

By the way, Welcome from Tennessee!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Well you import it from whatever program you have it in, then do trace bitmap, then clean it up a bit, then send it to your cutter. This would be for any design other than a copyrighted design.

Don't be offput by self-appointed vigilantes. The process is the same regardless of copyright protection. The logo police aren't going to descend on you from ropes dangling from black helicopters.

Knocking off a design for a friend is one thing, knocking off a design for profit is quite another. Everyone, even the terminally self-righteous among us, has done the former. Most people don't do the latter as it's considered bad form.

DOGraphics

Don't be offput by self-appointed vigilantes. The process is the same regardless of copyright protection. The logo police aren't going to descend on you from ropes dangling from black helicopters.

Knocking off a design for a friend is one thing, knocking off a design for profit is quite another. Everyone, even the terminally self-righteous among us, has done the former. Most people don't do the latter as it's considered bad form.

Bob,

Is that you? You sounded like you almost have a heasrt. Good to know. :banghead:

OneUpTenn

Don't be offput by self-appointed vigilantes.

Been called many things but not this.....

[/quote]The logo police aren't going to descend on you from ropes dangling from black helicopters.[/quote]

It has happened before. I think in a Sean Penn movie.

[/quote]terminally self-righteous[/quote]

I am only temporarily self-righteous.....Okay I ADMIT IT!!!!!!! I have done it before. I am such a hypocrite!!!!!!

Okay so how do you break apart the quotes????

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja

The logo police aren't going to descend on you from ropes dangling from black helicopters.

terminally self-righteous

I am only temporarily self-righteous.....Okay I ADMIT IT!!!!!!! I have done it before. I am such a hypocrite!!!!!!

you need to take the slashes out on the first "quote"...which is what i did

slappy

The logo police aren't going to descend on you from ropes dangling from black helicopters.

terminally self-righteous

testing 1-2-3..... summiting for a :doh: or a :clapping:

Jillbeans

I know I sounded like a vigilante but why kill yourself making the damn thing, buying the vynull etc when you can buy one ready-to-go for under $20?
Even if it's not pink.
Love....Jill

thewood

Charlie, whether or not you reproduce this logo, you are still going to need these skills in the future. Rather than use autotrace, I encourage you to think of the logo as simple shapes that you can draw and combine. A couple of circles form the outline. A square rotated 90° forms a diamond that you can edit to form the shapes in the logo. Then you can find a similar font for the text. Or if you can't find the font, combine and edit simple polygons to form the text. Practice, practice, practice.

Attachments

• Practice.jpg
    Practice.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 62

thesignexpert

Charlie, whether or not you reproduce this logo, you are still going to need these skills in the future. Rather than use autotrace, I encourage you to think of the logo as simple shapes that you can draw and combine. A couple of circles form the outline. A square rotated 90° forms a diamond that you can edit to form the shapes in the logo. Then you can find a similar font for the text. Or if you can't find the font, combine and edit simple polygons to form the text. Practice, practice, practice.

Amen! I agree with thewood here Charlie. This would be an excellent opportunity to get a little practice working directly with necessary design / sign skills. Hop right in there, give it a whirl and pretty soon you will be whizzing thru Corel like an old pro.

Good Luck!

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com
"Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

Pro Sign and Graphics
"A Pro Sign made Easy"

Monavie Juice Network
"Drink It - Feel it - Share It"

archerdesign

Did you find the logo you needed? I know Im a little late (or a lot late) on your response...but Im pretty sure I have that logo if you need it....let me know.

Dave

charlie3238

Hey Dave. Ya I got it taken care of. I just go into this business so I have A LOT to learn. I took the advice of some others on the site and basically constructed it using simple shapes rather than just auto tracing or downloding the logo. Thanks for your help and everbody elses to! Charlie