• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie Question Graphic In Plotter

maxamy

I just started cutting/plotting this week... I have successfully made some text only signs and they turned out OK... playing around with the force to make weeding easier has helped but I am learning and supporting the vinyl industry in the process :) I am having a problem when I try pics though... It says no cutable object found once I try the clipart and send to cutter... I'm using an older system a GRC-61 with Windows XP ... I'm likely doing something wrong but a point in the right direction would be helpful..I"m trying to make some 4-6 inch musical notes... found free ones on the web but none work.... any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance...

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Do you know the difference between vector and bitmap artwork? (it's a necessary question, I think, at this point)

printhog

I just started cutting/plotting this week... I have successfully made some text only signs and they turned out OK... playing around with the force to make weeding easier has helped but I am learning and supporting the vinyl industry in the process :) I am having a problem when I try pics though... It says no cutable object found once I try the clipart and send to cutter... I'm using an older system a GRC-61 with Windows XP ... I'm likely doing something wrong but a point in the right direction would be helpful..I"m trying to make some 4-6 inch musical notes... found free ones on the web but none work.... any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance...
Since you're new.. photos are bitmap, plotting is not fine with bitmaps. Plotting is done with vectors. Here's a good link to explain the difference. Bitmap versus vector graphics and images

its only a freaking sign!

maxamy

Thats helpful...some of the pics said they were vectors but maybe they weren't...I'll have to learn how to make them I guess...trying to find some free artwork...any ideas? I need simple musical notes for a sign... ones that I can cut onto white vinyl...

maxamy

and no I didn't know the difference but reading the article explained a lot to me... I have a lot to learn :)

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Thats helpful...some of the pics said they were vectors but maybe they weren't...I'll have to learn how to make them I guess...trying to find some free artwork...any ideas? I need simple musical notes for a sign... ones that I can cut onto white vinyl...

Mrs. Google (free vector artwork musical notes) helped find this: Musical Notes - Download Free Vector Art, Stock Graphics & Images and also have a look around on the free font sites for a font that contains musical notation instead of normal letters.

maxamy

OK that helps... thanks not sure how to separate those pics though...Its a bunch on one page Ill have to use one at a time because I need them to be 6-8 inches tall... I'll check into that font idea... that may work better for me now...I will however, eventually need to learn how to import and cut pics... lol
Thanks for all your help...

printhog

Maxamy.. I googled "free fonts musical notes".. 33 Free music, notes fonts - FontSpace the site is reputable so I think your safe to download from them. Some free fonts are virus laden so always use anti virus software.. install the font to your computer, restart the vinyl design app (what are you using?) and then.. type am the letters and numbers to see which ones are assigned to what letter.. then have fun.

its only a freaking sign!

Dont forget to make the text to outlines before cutting otherwise you will only get a single line cut.

I dont know what you use for program, but if you have a text in illustrator you mark the text en press type and then create outlines, the text will now be outlined and possible to plot.
If you have an image it is deponding on the picture sometimes possible to convert it to vectors in illustrator to.

maxamy

I really appreciate all the help... I'll keep digging in ... I know there is a lot to this but I want to learn ... thanks again everyone..

maxamy

I used the fonts with musical notes and they worked great!!! thanks for the help... still need to learn the clipart but this got me through decorating the shop windows so I will learn the graphics in due time... Really appreciate the help all!!!