• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie question

stargate

Hello everyone ..... I'm very new to the sign making world. I still need to buy my first cutter but there is a lot to look at. I have been looking at the Roland GX24 but.........any suggustion would be great
Stargate:Canada 2:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from Pa.............................

Got any other interesting facts about your business ??

BobM

Welcome from Cape of Cod. I started with a GX24, still have it along with a Camm1 and a very old but reliable PC60. Haven't spent a dime on the the 2 cutters short of blades and cut strips. Excellent machines.

stargate

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. The GX24 Roland is a costly unit for a newbie like me any other suggestions?

wes70

A little more info regarding your business would help so we (others) can suggest if the Roland is the right choice for your application.

stargate

My intentions are to start out do signs for friends, till I get to learn more about sign making i don't have a business YET:Cool 2:

MachServTech

My intentions are to start out do signs for friends, till I get to learn more about sign making i don't have a business YET:Cool 2:

The folks here make a living making signs for your friends, so what you actually said was "would you mind telling me what the best equipment would be so I can take business away from you"

I realize you may not have intended to portray yourself in that light, but that is how many here will see you. Please don't be surprised if you get some negative answers.

Oh and welcome to :signs101:

stargate

I was just asking for ideas from experienced people at sign101. I thought we all came here to learn and not to pick apart the question. I do know what I said ! Looking for suggestions for a cutter for a newbie. It seen Like most forums have a mackservtech I will not seal your customers

MachServTech

I was just asking for ideas from experienced people at sign101. I thought we all came here to learn and not to pick apart the question. I do know what I said ! Looking for suggestions for a cutter for a newbie. It seen Like most forums have a mackservtech I will not seal your customers

silly....you would be my customer..(I repair equipment...even yours...well maybe not yours...but you get it?)

....im just trying to help you understand why some might be offended.

kart45

stargate -
This is my 2nd day here as a member on this site. I've been cutting vinyl now for a year and a half - so I'll be the first to admit I'm not a pro. I knew how to use a computer, can design (to an extent) and saw others who could make it happen so I said to myself "If they can do it I can do it..." :thumb:
I originally bought my Creation PCUT 24" from uscutter.com as an affordable alternative to waiting on a local sign shop in order to get fullfil some sponsorship obligations for my racecar. I would recommend that cutter as great way to get into the hobby and see if you want to expand from there.

And to the rest viewing this, I guess if I don't belong here then let me know, I'm mostly trying to observe and learn what I can from the professionals. I am not trying to steal business and in most cases I have a pretty good idea what and when is a good idea to "leave it to the professionals" :notworthy: otherwise I believe the term is 'competition'... This is a hobby/2nd income for me at this point (thank God I still have my day job) but I would like to have a good foundation to start with if I get kicked out on the street...
:thankyou:

MachServTech

stargate -
This is my 2nd day here as a member on this site. I've been cutting vinyl now for a year and a half - so I'll be the first to admit I'm not a pro. I knew how to use a computer, can design (to an extent) and saw others who could make it happen so I said to myself "If they can do it I can do it..." :thumb:
I originally bought my Creation PCUT 24" from uscutter.com as an affordable alternative to waiting on a local sign shop in order to get fullfil some sponsorship obligations for my racecar. I would recommend that cutter as great way to get into the hobby and see if you want to expand from there.

And to the rest viewing this, I guess if I don't belong here then let me know, I'm mostly trying to observe and learn what I can from the professionals. I am not trying to steal business and in most cases I have a pretty good idea what and when is a good idea to "leave it to the professionals" :notworthy: otherwise I believe the term is 'competition'... This is a hobby/2nd income for me at this point (thank God I still have my day job) but I would like to have a good foundation to start with if I get kicked out on the street...
:thankyou:

:Welcome: 2 :signs101: :thumb:

stargate -

I know that everyone has had different experiences with various equipment, but I from my own personal experience I would never buy another Pcut plotter again. I own a 36" Pcut and it offered nothing but problems. Accuracy was one issue. Tracking over anything longer than 3' was horrendous. X and Y axis would shift in the middle of plotting so parallel lines that should have been 1/4" apart were practically on top of each other. The US Cutter forum's suggestion for constant freezing issues is to open the unit and re-seat the harnesses and the chips on the motherboard. Though it may be an affordable solution, I wasted more time and countless yards of material than I care to waste ever again due to poor equipment. Buyer beware.

kart45

blackmarketdesigns -
I agree whole-heartedly that the PCUT sucks for larger scale cutting. Mine won't track for beans past 48".
I did initially have some problems on startup with freezing, but I was running the cutter with a USB instead of the Serial that was recommended. Once I switched over to the Serial Port communication I have been trouble free ever since and can cut at much higher speeds.
The PCUT also can't get down & dirty with the fine details like a Roland or (Insert $$ here) cutter can.

With proper setup, the PCUT can do a fine job for it's selling price though when compared to say a Roland or many of the higher end 'entry level' machines. My machine has paid for itself at least 5x in just under 2 yrs with it.

Anyways - I'm still new here so I don't want to come across like a jack-ass :rolleyes: just wanted to submit my opinion

blackmarketdesigns -
I agree whole-heartedly that the PCUT sucks for larger scale cutting. Mine won't track for beans past 48".
I did initially have some problems on startup with freezing, but I was running the cutter with a USB instead of the Serial that was recommended. Once I switched over to the Serial Port communication I have been trouble free ever since and can cut at much higher speeds.
The PCUT also can't get down & dirty with the fine details like a Roland or (Insert $$ here) cutter can.

With proper setup, the PCUT can do a fine job for it's selling price though when compared to say a Roland or many of the higher end 'entry level' machines. My machine has paid for itself at least 5x in just under 2 yrs with it.

Anyways - I'm still new here so I don't want to come across like a jack-ass :rolleyes: just wanted to submit my opinion

I guess from a cost stand point, the Pcut might make sense. I got mine for under $500 and quickly made my money back on it. But in all honesty, the headaches weren't worth it. Get one, make some $ using it and save for a better plotter if money is a determining factor right now. Another MAJOR problem I had with the Pcut is that it could not handle large files. Memory issue or whatever. If the image was large and had a lot of detail, the plotter might make it through 75% of the plot before it froze. This is the only thing it did consistently. That and it is a noisy machine; while plotting and in standby mode.

signs2trade

Before you purchase a cutter you should first get your dba, tax number so when you buy your plotter and are selling signs out of your garage you will be able to charge sales tax, and you will be legal. :Welcome: