• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

newbie question

britchie

hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a customers Sprinter van and they have provided new decals to be installed. I have removed the old stuff and I'm ready to install. The new film is 3m Controltac with a paper outer layer. I have wrapped a couple vehicles with Controltac but it has always been laminated with clear layer that is not to be removed. I know it is not to be installed wet but these are large panels going over lots of random rivets. I did the first side dry and it was a complete failure. I'm thinking that this is the wrong film for this type application. What are your thoughts?

Best, B.

stickermonkey

oh boy....sounds like these panels have been premasked. I'm just having this very debate on another thread.

anyhow...a Sprinter has some challenging areas to ease the film into...the premask is not needed, and likely what is causing your problem.

Sounds like you're in for some cursin'!

sdwnymph

Personally I hate controltac or "7 yr vinyl" cause its to dang thin. I know some dealers say that its "the better vinyl", but I've NEVER had good luck w/ it. The pre mask tape is needed when not using laminate... but even laminate isnt going to help w/ contoured surfaces like rivets and wheelwells. Most you can do is go slow and keep a heatgun handy but going to be very hard w/ this material. I ended up throwing away a few yards of 7yr because was to much hassle.