• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie Qustions

Turbophein

so i have been selling sponsor decals on the side for almost 2 years now, at first just to make a little side cash, but it has turned into something a lot bigger than i expected, and its growing everyday.

so i have been thinking about buying a nice multi-color graphic printer/cutter and opening a small weekend business for years but never did and i think its time to do it.

i have some cash i can afford to spend from selling off some toys and the decals i've been selling, and was looking for some advise on spending it the right way.

my ultimate goal is to produce multi-color decals, truck lettering/logo and would love to do local enduro riders mx/atv graphics.

i have a nice location already, 2 bay garage, about $10,000 cash, and i have no debt. steady income. i know its not much but that's what i have to spend right now. i have great credit if need be. also i was thinking of taking some graphic design coures at night, to get acquainted with the software better. i'm willing to put in the work/effort...

things i need:

Printer
laminator
software/corel
clip art/templates
material
image scanner

what do you guys suggest, lay it on me and be honest. i'm sure many people try and fail.

there are some decent deals on ebay with printers and laminators, software, laptops, clip art and all. that might be the way to go, but i will spend more money for sure, but then again be almost ready to go.

what do you guys think about the sp-300v printer? what should i stay away from. i have only researched roland printers so far.

what laminators should i stay away from or look at buying. i want to use the convex vinyl for the mx graphics.

also i don't know much about image scanners but it seems there all pretty similar, just a difference in size... any recommendations?

i already messaged a member on here for info on the mx/atv template cd $800 worth it i guess if you want to do it right...

HulkSmash

In my opinion, i wouldnt get the print / cut combo machines. If one goes down, so does the other.. and you have to laminate before you cut, and you can't cut while you print. That's just my opinion though.

If you want to eventually get into vehicle graphics, i wouldnt get anything less than a 54 inch printer. You'll be sorry if you get anything smaller. I'd suggest the epson/latex they're around 17k for a 60 inch.

They were throwing around a laminater on here that seems to be good that is about 2k. You can search around the forum on it.

Also for software, you really want the Adobe Creative Suite.

Oh, i forgot to mention a good reliable RIP for your printer/cutter. you can start off with flexi, or go right to Onyx.

You're going to need to throw out a bit more cash.

If you want to start cheap, they have a starter kit at signwarehouse, that has everything you need for like 24-30k ish. But that's a mutoh printer..

good luck

jiarby

The best way to cure having no debt and money in the bank is to buy a printer and a laminator.

Turbophein

In my opinion, i wouldnt get the print / cut combo machines. If one goes down, so does the other.. and you have to laminate before you cut, and you can't cut while you print. That's just my opinion though.

that is a good point. i wasn't thinking of that. so i would need to print, then laminate, then back to the printer to cut???

is that really how all the graphics kits are made? i was only planning on laminating the mx stuff, is it fine to not laminate truck logo's?

Custom_Grafx

Hi and welcome.

Get a cutter which will be future compatible with a printer you might get down the track like the epson/hp/roland. At least 54" wide. Your 10k will cover this. As mentioned, also get Adobe illustrator and photoshop.

You should now have some money to buy tools and accessories and a bit of stock and app tape.

When you have around 30k available, either in cash or in finance, get yourself a decent printer and laminator. In the meantime, research, visit suppliers, read spec sheets etc, and outsource your printing. The only thing you will sacrifice is that you won't be able to turn around jobs in less than a couple of days - no big deal in the scheme of things.

Option 2.. if you're already keen to go hard and have enough clients to pay the finance, deposit 5-8k and finance the rest and get a 54 or 60" printer and laminator, a good work bench, trimmer, rulers, blades, squeegees etc etc and get started :) With the rest of your cash, get some supplies and you're set to start off.

Good luck!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

Check out our laminators.

The print and cut machines will work well with your limited space and low volume. Make sure you have enough printing to keep the printer busy. A low use printer is a maintenance nightmare.