• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie Roland,Mutoh questions.

Cobra397

Hi there all, I have been reading these forums for quite some time now. I work part-time for a friend who has an advertising shop. He currently outsources all of his digital printing jobs. I currently work in a factory that I run 3 mutoh 1608 hybrids. I have learned a lot in the past year about these machines and can service them to a certain extent.
My idea and questions are, I am thinking of buying a printer for his shop for which I will operate it and supply the surrounding shops my services.
I’m torn on which printer to buy, I have the option to buy a refurbished Mutoh 1614 64 inch and can still buy the warranty service.
Or I have Roland dealers an hour away with techs an hour away. The Roland I have been looking at are the VersaCAMM VS series 64 inch Printer/cutter combo OR the RS 64 inch printer and would buy a cutter separate machine.

I’m looking to print general banners and signs but needs to be able to print photographs, posters, canvas prints. Would either of these two printers work?

Would anyone recommend the printer/cut or two machines? Thanks for any help.
:thankyou:

SublimeGraphics

I have always been a Roland Fan and bought a Versacamm when they first came out 6 years ago. We have worked this thing way harder than it was made to be worked and here it is 6 years later printing away. Less than $3000 worth of parts replaced. When we do replace it, we will for sure be getting separate print & cut. It will speed things up immensely.

Jim Doggett

I’m looking to print general banners and signs but needs to be able to print photographs, posters, canvas prints. Would either of these two printers work?

Yes; both are great. But I think the Mutoh might be your better choice since you know the machine, and no doubt know that Banner 4 @ 720 x 720 dpi (and Wave printing) are amazing good and fast for printing banners that will knock people over. It's a unique Mutoh advantage.

Would anyone recommend the printer/cut or two machines? Thanks for any help.

Separate machines, unless really tight on space, IMO. You get way better cutting performance with a Graphtec or Summa. Plus when cutting labels, the printer can be knocking out banner at 143 sq ft / hr (Mutoh). Lastly, you really don't want to wear out a printer doing day-to-day vinyl cutting. So you'll add a cutter anyway, most likely. Buy a printer, for how it prints; and then cutter for how it cuts. 2-in-1 is gonna suffer on one or both, and thus, I believe is something more suited to small space lower volume.

My $0.02,

CS-SignSupply-TT

"...I’m looking to print general banners and signs but needs to be able to print photographs, posters, canvas prints..." GO ROLAND! separate printer and cutter

wirenut

If you go separate printer and cutter, are there any combinations (parinter mfg and cutter mfg.) to stay away from pertaining to the cutter recognizing exactly where to cut when moving the media from the printer to the cutter........with the all in one the media is recognized by the printer when it goes into cut mode..........or will all cutters comply with all printers w/ regards to registration........If that's a better way to question it?