Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie starting out in garage

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zapata, May 7, 2007.

1. zapata

zapata New Member

May 7, 2007
    Hello 101 Team,

I’m also staring out in my garage just as the previous newbie. I was looking at new and used equipment to try to save of couple of bucks. Good idea or bad idea? I’m shooting out for cars signage first, and then I’ll venture into other areas. I currently own an hp750c plotter that I intend to use for indoor signs (prints). Can I used this plotter for outdoor too? I’m looking at a vinyl cutter but not sure what size is best, any suggestion? I see that some of you are using 24”, is this size sufficient as starter or will I outgrow it too quickly. During my research, I was reading something about RIPs software and hardware for oversize prints. Are you using RIPs to print? Do I need one for my plotter, what software package should I purchase as RIP software?

Thank you so much in advance,
    Zapata

Tags:
  2. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Welcome Aboard! Whats your background? Where abouts are you geographically?
    :Welcome: 2 :signs101:

3. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee from VA..............

4. Mason

Mason Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Hola! from Beantown

5. wsteely7

wsteely7 Member

May 11, 2006
    Hello from KY.

6. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

Welcome to the group. Search other Newbie questions about starting out for equipment, software and supplies.

7. vinylbarry

vinylbarry Active Member

Jun 6, 2006
    :Welcome: to:signs101: from Ky

8. zapata

zapata New Member

May 7, 2007
    First and most thank you for your feedback!

I’m Portland Oregon and my background is in sales and service. I sold copiers from Kodak and Xerox for approx 10 years. I was a service tech for five years prior to sales. I enjoy selling, meeting new people and for the longest time wanted work for myself. I know very little about large format printing and want to learn as much as possible. This is why I’m here hopping to get help from people like you who have done it a lot long than I have.

Thank you again,
    Zapata

9. Creative_Lance

Creative_Lance Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2006
    USA
    Welcome!

10. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    I'm from the Vancouver area. PM me and we could have coffee sometime.

:glasses:

Could give you some tips in person. I'm not THE most experienced at this, but I do have a graphics business up and running and am making a living... so can help you atleast pointed in the right direction.

11. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    Hi Zapata.
    A 24 inch plotter will serve you well for vehicle graphics.
    My Creation CT630 has done well, but I really would like to have one of the top brand names. Soon, I hope.
    Cheers!
    Ken

12. GregT

GregT Very Active Member

Welcome from PA

13. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Welcome

14. Sign Up Graphics

Jan 8, 2007

Welcome from Skokie, IL :Welcome:

15. Sign Prophet

Sign Prophet Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Welcome from Long Beach, California

16. gvgraphics

gvgraphics Very Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Welcome again from PA

17. mgraef27

mgraef27 Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Welcome

Welcome from NJ....

Out door prints with your hp might be ok for a while if you laminate. You need to figure out what inks and media you can use, take a look at the specs.

If you get a cutter start with a 24", mien has served me well and going strong.

18. zapata

zapata New Member

May 7, 2007
    Thank you ALL for the great feedback! It’s great to know that there are a lot of good people out there willing to help. I’m very thankful for stumbling into Signs101 website.

This is a good start for now…

Thanks a million!
    Zapata

19. chopper

chopper Very Active Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Big Lake MN
    I have a 30" plotter but find that 90% of the time all I need is a 24" machine
    since most material is readly available in 24" that would be the best size to get and if you need bigger graphics than that you can pannel them just like the rest of us do...also get a name brand machine, like...summa,graphtec, anagraph,ioline, roland,there are others you need to check the plotter fourms, also I seen a used summa on ebay an s75d for 2900 bucks less than a year old that is a deal that is half of new!!! that is the same machine I have and summa will honor the warrenty if you buy it and there tech service is great
    (Iam not as fond of the roland but that is a personal choice)good luck //chopper

20. wannabe

wannabe Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Welcome from Shreveport, LA! I still like my garage shop even tho' I'm working for someone else for the time being.