• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie starting out in garage

zapata

Hello 101 Team,

I’m also staring out in my garage just as the previous newbie. I was looking at new and used equipment to try to save of couple of bucks. Good idea or bad idea? I’m shooting out for cars signage first, and then I’ll venture into other areas. I currently own an hp750c plotter that I intend to use for indoor signs (prints). Can I used this plotter for outdoor too? I’m looking at a vinyl cutter but not sure what size is best, any suggestion? I see that some of you are using 24”, is this size sufficient as starter or will I outgrow it too quickly. During my research, I was reading something about RIPs software and hardware for oversize prints. Are you using RIPs to print? Do I need one for my plotter, what software package should I purchase as RIP software?

Thank you so much in advance,
Zapata

Jackpine

Welcome to the group. Search other Newbie questions about starting out for equipment, software and supplies.

zapata

First and most thank you for your feedback!

I’m Portland Oregon and my background is in sales and service. I sold copiers from Kodak and Xerox for approx 10 years. I was a service tech for five years prior to sales. I enjoy selling, meeting new people and for the longest time wanted work for myself. I know very little about large format printing and want to learn as much as possible. This is why I’m here hopping to get help from people like you who have done it a lot long than I have.

Thank you again,
Zapata

Flame

I'm from the Vancouver area. PM me and we could have coffee sometime.

:glasses:

Could give you some tips in person. I'm not THE most experienced at this, but I do have a graphics business up and running and am making a living... so can help you atleast pointed in the right direction.

Ken

Hi Zapata.
A 24 inch plotter will serve you well for vehicle graphics.
My Creation CT630 has done well, but I really would like to have one of the top brand names. Soon, I hope.
Cheers!
Ken

mgraef27

Welcome

Welcome from NJ....

Out door prints with your hp might be ok for a while if you laminate. You need to figure out what inks and media you can use, take a look at the specs.

If you get a cutter start with a 24", mien has served me well and going strong.

zapata

Thank you ALL for the great feedback! It’s great to know that there are a lot of good people out there willing to help. I’m very thankful for stumbling into Signs101 website.

This is a good start for now…

Thanks a million!
Zapata

chopper

I have a 30" plotter but find that 90% of the time all I need is a 24" machine
since most material is readly available in 24" that would be the best size to get and if you need bigger graphics than that you can pannel them just like the rest of us do...also get a name brand machine, like...summa,graphtec, anagraph,ioline, roland,there are others you need to check the plotter fourms, also I seen a used summa on ebay an s75d for 2900 bucks less than a year old that is a deal that is half of new!!! that is the same machine I have and summa will honor the warrenty if you buy it and there tech service is great
(Iam not as fond of the roland but that is a personal choice)good luck //chopper

wannabe

Welcome from Shreveport, LA! I still like my garage shop even tho' I'm working for someone else for the time being.