• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie to digital printing...

slip119

Be easy on the bashing...lol. My boss recently decided to buy a HP35500 to start doing printing. The only machine I have ever worked with prior to this was a Mutoh Falcon II for a short time before former boss let machine go to hell. At this point I am looking for any tips or suggestions as far as working with this machine and uv inks. We are using flexi 8.5 to design and rip, I understand its probably not the best but I have to work with it for now. Thanks in advance, and please take it easy on me..lol.

thanks,
Scott
Sharp Signs and Graphics

Tim Aucoin

I don't know about your printer, but from what I've heard, Flexi is the best software you can use for print/cut design. I currently use Illustrator and have recently been finding weaknesses in it... unlike Flexi. I'm seriously considering investing in Flexi!

Good luck on the new printer and welcome to the forum!:Welcome:

akalvarez

Welcome I just signed up to S101. I am new to the UV world as well. I have used several versions of Flexi off and on for several years. We have a Falcon 62 and are using Flexi 8.5 to rip and print with. I am not the greatest with that program but if you have any questions I will try to help.

slip119

Thanks guys, An issue I'm having today with flexi is the profiles that come with the program for this machine all seem to have the same properties, is this normal. Tried printing on acrylic and it seems very washed out, any suggestions? As far as the printer goes, is there any reason to be closing one shutter as opposed to another, or just leave them both open?

Mspec

you will likely get better results if you build your own profiles, I'm not much help with Flexi but I'm sure there is a way to create your own profiles. Onyx has decent color out of the box, but custom profiles usually produce better results as do regular color calibrations. < you should recalibrate your profiles anytime you install a new ink for example. >

the shutter settings are there to help manage heat if your media is bowing. by increasing the shutter angles it can help keep some medias flatter. closing the trailing shutter will affect the amount of dot gain you get with the inks < it will increase > and can help to minimize the textural look of the output but you will sacrifice some small text and fine line detail.