• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wallgraphics1

Hi everyone so I’m kind of new to this forum but I have been using it as a resource for studying a new operation that I wish to add to my business for sometime. I have learned a ton from this form and now I’m looking for some advice on my business plan.

So I am entrepreneur at heart but went to school and double majored in graphic design and Economics. I’ve been researching this new business for sometime what the best method for production and now I’m looking for your help. I want to produce wall graphics on demand from my online website and through my sales channels I’m not interested in becoming a full own Sing Maker because I know that is too big of a learning curve to undergo.

So I talked to a number of sign supplier about what I will need to get started. As far machinery I have been looking at Rolland Pro4 XR-640 this is the newest the suppliers have told me this is newest and best machine out there. One of the suppliers I have talked to a lot and has really helped me was recommending a refurbished VP-540 with a warranty for 6 months on parts and labor. He was saying that there wasn’t that big of a difference in quality of two printers and biggest difference would be in print speeds. So I was wondering if this was true or he was just trying to sell me the refurbished.

As far as media goes I have looked at lots and really am leaning towards Phototex because I think this product seems to have the best durability. Also not being an experienced printer I am worried with some of vinyl materials about curling which has occurred on some samples I have printed on. Other materials I have considered are Avery MPI 2611 ad Graphtex. So if anyone has any opinion on media it would greatly appreciated.

Options 2 I have looked at contracting out the printing to a company that focus on printing. This is a real appealing option to me because it would take the whole printing operation out of the business. So in my research the best pricing I was giving was between $3 and $4 a square foot for various Medias. I was wondering if these were fair prices.

All my graphic work has already been made with vectors and cutlines and I’m experienced on that side of business. So the biggest question I would have if I’m really motivated to learn do you think I’m better off producing myself or outsourcing. All opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

It is best to outsource your printing until you have enough volume to keep a printer busy every day. Otherwise, you will be buying into a maintenance nightmare with a printer. They are made to be used.

I would look into initially outsourcing your print work, until the volume of work justifies bringing it in-house.

This approach will also allow you to learn about the advantages and limitations of the various ink technologies that are used in the digital wall coverings market, including solvent and latex inks, and let you make the correct choice when the time is right.

Hey Wallgraphics1

I'm a total newbie too on this forum but I have had lots of experience with PhotoTex. I have to tell you I love it for what it is made for, easy install and removable fabric material. It's almost like comparing apples to oranges. Maybe someone with more experience with the Avery can chime in here if I'm wrong, since I don't have much experience with this particular vinyl from Avery. When you think of PhotoTex literally think of a post-it-note made from fabric. Avery MPI 2611 ad Graphtex is a 6 mil calendared vinyl made specifically for wall graphics. I've used PhotoTex here on multiple occasions for trade show booths, temporary graphics on unusual substrates, even Wallpaper. Right now I'm printing a 10x10 full top to bottom PhotoTex wallpaper to cover a clients trade show booth because his panels have that carpet kind of texture. I've used it on a couple machines now (arizona 550gt, epson GS6000, HP5000 DesignJet) with custom profiles and have had no complaints. It can be installed on many types of surfaces and removed and installed again and again, depending on the substrate of course. I even use it a lot on banners where the main banner on scrim has a section of PhotoTex that is always changed for new promotions. I've also cut it into many different shapes with our zund, summa, and by hand. Since we first heard of the PhotoTex we ordered some rolls and tried it and really got it out there and used it for many clients.