• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie!!!

gr8ang

Hello,

I am BRAND new to this.. I am in the process of trying to buy a vinyl cutter. Leaning towards the master pro by desay. Now my question is, what type of vinyl to buy and where do i buy this? I am wanting to make insiprational quote signs that are hung up around the house.. and is there a certain type of wood recommended for vinyl to stick on?

R08

Welcome and good luck.

Word of caution: Read a few posts on this forum before asking too many questions.

Take it slow and you'll be fine.

As long as the wood is sealed vinyl will stick to it but cutting vinyl for this type of work is really not your best bet. If you are selling many of one type, screenprinting is the way to go.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I would recommend that you run, don't walk, to you nearest sign supply distributor for a demonstration, training and installation of the hardware and software that you will need. Buying a Chinese plotter over the internet is an ill advised exercise in frustration and wasted time.

I would next recommend that you browse around in the Hardware and Software forums here for similar and related information.

As to the type of vinyl, again I recommend what your local sign supply house stocks. Oracal 651 would be a good starting point.

As to the finish of the wood, it should be a sealed surface of any kind of finish from shellac to enamel or lacquer or polyurethane. Avoid latex or rub on oil stains.

gr8ang

I have done some research and i am just starting out and the desay is what has been recommended quite a bit thru my research. I am really open to anything, just trying to buy something that will let me do several things, just not wall/wood vinyl, but also vinyl for decals as well. I am on a limited budget, so don't want to jump in and buy anything too expensive, but yet again, don't want to buy a piece of junk either. Any advise would be appreciated! I am trying to take this real slow as i don't know anybody in this business, so i don't have anybody to really ask questions to. Thanks for everybodys help.

you've been given great information sorry it doesnt agree with the "research" you have done. the desay should work out great for you. just remember when you are pulling your hair out you had your own ideas and dont come asking for drivers, instructions, repair advice, etc that you can not find from the people that have provided you with such great advice. good luck you;re going to need it

and where the hell is "home" i have no interest in helping anyone who can not provide us with the most basic of information

Cadmn

well your talking all over the place you want to do wood buy a router then decals you need a printer two totally different worlds & $$$$$ money for printer More research for you, big time.was typing as dan was posting very good points If you won't take advise why ask for it?

gr8ang

Wow you all are pretty tough out there. I didn't say i wasn't taking advise. If i recall i asked for it. You are right i do need help, but i thought that that was what forums are about. I guess i am mistaken.

gr8ang

Home is in St. Lous. I am just doing this a side hobby and just wanted to start to learn something new.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Wow you all are pretty tough out there. I didn't say i wasn't taking advise. If i recall i asked for it. You are right i do need help, but i thought that that was what forums are about. I guess i am mistaken.

Not in particular. Signs 101 is a community forum for professional sign makers and those who aspire to be. We tend to operate more like a college than a grade school in that we accumulate information and do research on our own and then ask for advice or details after having done so.

Answers tend to be matter of fact ... given freely with nothing expected in return. New folks asking questions without having done enough research first or supplying enough information tend to get poor answers and wise cracks. Having seen hundreds of hobbyists and non-professionals come here looking for answers, I supplied you with some very good ones. You need to look past what you can find on the internet. If your research has put you in touch with people who recommend a poorly made, poorly supported, partial solution to your needs, then you may want to rethink the source.

This is probably a case of you not knowing enough to even formulate good questions. If so, you are well advised to seek protection in paying a little more and getting face to face advice, training, supplies and support by taking my advice and finding the sign supply distributor nearest to you and buying from him.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are many reputable sign supply distributors with locations in St. Louis. A few that come to mind are:

• Advantage Sign Supply
  • Midwest Sign Supply
  • R & J Sign Supply
  • Grimco
Get on the phone and talk to the sales departments of these suppliers. You will learn a lot of good information for a minimum of effort.

Air Art Girl

Do yourself a huge favor. Stay away from the cheap plotter. Look for a good used one or name brand with technical support. You will not spend that much more and it will be well worth it. Try looking for a Roland GX-24

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK.
Farming out the vinyl cutting and printing usually works out best for beginners. The investment in the equipment may be waisted if you do not want to stick with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA..................

You should look for a job in this line of work and THEN see if you still want to keep it as a hobby.

Buying stamps would probably be much easier and more lucrative.