• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

newby question

tltaylor22

So I finally broke down and upgraded from my two master machines to a new graphtec fc7000 and lxi 8 master plus software(flexi). Still trying to get used to the new machine. Far greater ability for detail compared to the masters, but I need to work out some issues that I can't seem to find the answers to in the manuals. Sorry for not knowing all the lingo. When you load the vinyl width and starting edge is auto sensed and it homes itself to the right side of the roll. As it does this it shows on the screen the width of the material. That width seems to change depending on where the two friction rollers are placed. Without moving the vinyl, I just moved the rollers twice and let the machine outosense the vinyl. 15" roll, the first cutting width was 13.9" the next was 13.5". Is the machine really sensing the edges of the material or the rollers? Is there a way to get the starting point closer to the edge of the vinyl so not to waste material? I don't know if the next problem has to do with the combo of the fc7000 and lxi8 software, but it tends to make the previous issue iven worse. When setting up the cut on the cut/plot screen, you can't seem to fit a 14" image on to a 15" material because of the highlighted box around the image. There's an inch all the way around the image that is empty, but you can't move the actual image to the edge of the cut screen because of that box. Any thoughts?Is there a way to get rid of this box and allow the image to better fit the material? Thanks for the help and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Trent
progress.gif

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from Oklahoma!

:Welcome: To :signs101:​

Getting the best use of the vinyl is probibly one of the least important reason to be able to cut as much of the width as you can. If you get the rollers too close to the edge and the vinyl is not straight you will end up losing a lot all at once. The only reason to try to get the whole width is if you have a graphic that spans the width.

Some plotters will allow you to move the hold down rollers after the measurement. If you put the rollers out as far as the will go and still overlap the edge then turn it on and let it get the measurement. Then with it still on, (and lever down) move the rollers to get a better bite on the material. Some machines will not allow you to do this and I think your machine may be one of them. If you can adjust the roller without lifting the lever it may work. Once you lift the lever it will lose the measurement.

Neil

Is the machine really sensing the edges of the material or the rollers?
Is there a way to get the starting point closer to the edge of the vinyl so not to waste material?

The sensors detect the position of the rollers, not the material.

There is a way of getting the sensors to read an expanded area which includes the roller area - which will get you closer to the edge. I remember reading about it in the manual.
I wouldn't do it personally unless I really had to.

When setting up the cut on the cut/plot screen, you can't seem to fit a 14" image on to a 15" material because of the highlighted box around the image. There's an inch all the way around the image that is empty, but you can't move the actual image to the edge of the cut screen because of that box. Any thoughts?

Maybe you could make your page size 16" in the software?

One more suggestion Trent if I may...

Remember to hit enter every now and then when you type up a lengthy post with several topics.

It makes things a lot easier to read for us old buggers :thumb:

imaSIGNr

try this.....go cut/plot page....general tab......go to bottom where it says copies, the second icon that shows two boxes with a red arrow between, set that number as low as .125 ( 1/8")or so and this should make your box less around the object to be cut....and set panel margin to 0 or very small #

Last edited:

tltaylor22

Thanks for the help, both with the cutter and with the posting. The fc7000 won't allow you to change the rollers after the fact.
A lot of the jobs that I do are repeats and are close to 13.5 and 28" in width. Wasted vinyl isn't that big an issue as the stuff is cheap no matter how you look at it, but I guess I'm a little OCD. I will try the suggestions and get back to you all. Thanks agian,