Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newby with a first question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jan, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Jan

    Jan New Member

    Jan 9, 2006
    I have an embroidery business and occ. get a request to see if I can make signs. I really don't have the inclination, the time or the money to go big time with this, but I saw an ad for an old fashioned sign making machine, not computerized, that drew my attention. I talked to the owner and she said there is no brand name on it. It was called a thermal vacuum forming unit. She bought it in app. 2001 and shortly after that the guy that sold it to her new went out of business. She has templates for lettering and clipart, and beyond that I don't really understand what she was telling me. Before I drive 3 hr. to go look at it, I was wondering if I could get any feedback from anyone that might recognize this description? I didn't find anything to match it on google, but would like some opinions from someone in the know. Thanks so much for any help.

    And Sew On
  2. Shovelhead

    Shovelhead Major Contributor

    Dec 5, 2003
    A thermal vacuum forming unit....

    is used to create pan-formed embossed faces.
    I die is made and acrylic is heated and vaacumed over the die to create a 3D
    look to the face.
    We are a multi-million # company and we don't even have one.
    So I wouldn't think it would be too practical for you to set up next to your Singer.
  3. TC49010

    TC49010 Active Member

    Jan 19, 2005
    :Welcome: to :signs101:

    Glad to see you made it here! Hope you find the answers your looking for!
  4. James Chrimes

    James Chrimes Very Active Member

    Jul 4, 2005
    If youy are going to make these type of signs they better sell you a crane truck, bucket truck and an electricians liscense also. Not a beginners set up.
  5. Fred Weiss

    Fred Weiss Merchant Member

    Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    It was a thermal vacuum forming machine that got me into the sign biz back in 1971. We used it to make formed faces and then glued magnetic tape to the backs. The formed letters get brayer coated with screen ink on the tops.

    I would be amazed if you would find this to be an acceptable option in today's markets. It's very limited, inefficient and fairly smelly.
  6. russellm

    russellm New Member

    Sep 24, 2003
    I'm involved in restoring a WWII bomber. We have been looking for a vacuum forming unit to form parts fo the canopy bomb aimer's dome and gun turrets.

  7. signdesign

    signdesign Member

    Apr 21, 2004
    I have a vacuum forming machine with lots of decorative molds and letters to go with. Its in storage - worked fine the last time I used it. Bought from a guy that went out of business soon after too????? If someone wants to buy it make an offer. You can email me at signdesign71@hotmail.com When I get a chance I was going to take some pictures and put it on ebay.
    Thanks Karen
  8. Si Allen

    Si Allen Very Active Member

    Jul 17, 2004
    hahahahahahaaa...Fred I remeber those machines!

    Friend had one....about as useless as tits on a bull!

    Thet were the grand daddy of magnetic signs. Great for repeat customers (would blow off a door at around 40 mph!)


Share This Page