• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

newer scam with VIN number?

wildside

here is an email i got this morning, it was a mass email with all the other people who got its email visible to me. Found it interesting they are listing a VIN with the vehicle, and even why they would think that is a good idea?

"Hello this hope newton how are you doing today i am down diagnosis of cancer of the lungs as such i had to spend some time in the intensive care, do you do truck lettering and are you the owner or manager, i now live here in town so it would be better for me to lettering my 2005 GMC truck Sierra 1500 VIN 1GTEC19TX5Z355552 it here and i would have the truck towed to your workshop for the lettering ,thats why i am contacting you for the lettering,can you do the lettering for me,and what type of credit card do you accept. "

wildside

i know its a scam for sure, but think it is interesting how they are now going about it. The vin would be searchable on carfax.......:doh:

AUTO-FX

this is a scam!!!! when i was bodyshop manager at the dealership we would get calls similar all the time. they say their uncle borrowed their car and crashed it in a neighboring state and would like US to fix it because they live in our town. can we call the tow company and make arraingements to have the car towed to our shop. We would have to pay the tow company ( AKA the perputraitors) and give them a credit card and would be reimbursed when the insurance adjuster came to estimate the damages.

ok from the description of the scam described by AutoFx i understand it...but why in the world would a scammer think this would work with a SIGN COMPANY lol...i am convinced some of the greatest salesmen in the world are CONmen and then they often become CONvicts...but these scammers need to go back to "Scam Skool"...

DingDong ConMan calls XYZ Sign Co "Ring--Ring--Ring--Ring"

XYZ Sign Co "It's a GREAT DAY at XYZ Sign Co...What can we do you for today?"

DingDong Conman "Hello fine Sir my name is Fig Newton how are you doing today?.. i am down in the dumps recently diagnosis of cancer of the lungs and as such i had to spend some time in the intensive care... do you do truck lettering?"

XYZ Sign Co "Wow Fig Newton I am sorry to hear of your recent bad luck...cancer is the pits..yes we letter trucks"

Fig Newton the DingDong ConMan " and are you the owner or manager?"

XYZ Sign Co "why yes I am the proud owner of XYZ Sign Co, how can I help you today?"

Fig Newton the DingDong ConMan " i now live here in town so it would be better for me to lettering my 2005 GMC truck Sierra 1500 VIN 1GTEC19TX5Z355552 it here and i would have the truck towed to your workshop for the lettering ,thats why i am contacting you for the lettering,can you do the lettering for me,and what type of credit card do you accept. "

Owner of XYZ Sign Co "well since you live in town we can letter your truck at your location and save you the expense of having your truck towed into our shop. We accept visa and mastercard, what day would you like us to letter your truck?"

Fig Newton the DingDong ConMan "oh uhm Great fine sir you can letter the truck at my location, but i'd much rather have it towed into your location to have it lettered"

Owner of XYZ Sign Co "Ok that's a little strange but hey it's your money...what day are you going to have your truck towed to our shop so we can get you on the calendar?"

Fig Newton the DingDong ConMan "uhm yeah I was hoping you would pay for the towing since you will be doing the lettering on my truck and it just so happens I own a towing company and can do that for you ,would you like to pay me to tow MY broke down truck into your shop with your visa or mastercard"

Owner XYZ Sign Co "Fig Newton respectfully have you lost your F'ing mind? why in the WORLD would I pay You to tow YOUR truck into my shop? that just doesn't make a lick of sense"

Fig Newton the DingDong ConMan "Kind Sir I will gladly reimburse you in full plus an additional 2000% interest, you see I am looking for opportunities to reimburse kind business owners like yourself because I am the sole heir of Prince Abdu Baboo who recently died in a car wreck. I just need a sign of good faith from you kind sir that you are indeed a compassionate person not just in business to make a profit. What credit card would you like me to charge you for the towing?"

Owner XYZ Sign Co. "WOW Fig Newton why didn't you just tell me this in the beginning? So you are related to a Prince? Does that make you royalty as well? What is your title, respectfully how do I address you is Your Royal Highness acceptable?"

Your Royal Highness Fig Newton the DingDong ConMan "why yes and thank you, Your Royal Highness is acceptable and thank you kind sir for asking? you have just reaffirmed my belief that you are the kind person I have been searching for to help me liberate my inheritance from my country, what is your credit card number so that I can charge you for towing my vehicle into your shop for you to letter?"

Owner XYZ Sign Co "excuse me Your Royal Highness Fig Newton I've never encountered royalty before and am just a little awe struck at the moment...please excuse me while I get my credit card for you"

Your Royal Highness Fig Newton the DingDong ConMan "thank you Kind Sir in addition i also own an orphanage and am in need of 10,000 banners that simply say "GOD IS GOOD" in red block letters on 10oz bright white non yellowing banner material, hemmed and grommeted every two feet with #2 nickle grommets individually boxed and palleted for shipping to Africa. I know it is a coincidence but in addition to my towing operation I also own a freight company...to simplify things for you, since it is obvious you are a very busy man please pay me now in one transaction for the towing of my truck and the shipping charges of the banners you will be providing me. what is the credit card number you would like me to charge?"

I mean come on...does ANYONE EVER fall for any of these? and if they do fall for it I'm sorry maybe Fig Newton is doing us all a favor by separating people that gullible from their money.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Here's one I received last week.

Hello this is Larry willy how are you doing today do you do truck lettering can i speak with the owner or manager,i now live here in town so it would be better for me to lettering my 2005 GMC truck Sierra 1500 VIN 1GTEC19TX5Z355552 it here and i would have the truck towed to your workshop for the lettering ,thats why i am contacting you for the lettering,can you do the lettering for me as I'm currently recuperating from an ear surgery.

hope to hear from you

Larry