• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newer version Illy file can't open

biznitch

Hey Guys, need some help with a file, I've got a copy of Illy cs4 and can't open a customer supplied file, tried to embed (read from previous thread) but no luck, any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Email sent

Thanks a million

File resaved and sent back to you. The customer didn't convert the fonts to outlines, however, which may cause you more difficulty than having them convert them to outlines, resave as CS4 and send it to you again.

signguy 55

I don't have or use illustrator, but I know Corel Draw has an option if you export a cdr file as an ai file a box comes up asking what ai version to save it to. It goes all the way back to illustrator 88 (I think that's it) then other programs can read it.

Whenever I have asked for a file to be saved in an older, more compatible version of illustrator, I always get the same look / stare/ or silence on the phone, like they have never heard of that before.

That and asking them to "convert to curves / outlines" gets you the same blank stare.

I assume that illy gives you the option to save in an older version.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Lack of experience and lack of reading any instructions are killers for any newbie being turned loose in Adobe Illustrator. Saving down to a "legacy" format is extremely easy to do. Same goes for converting type to outlines.

Whenever I'm asked to send an Illustrator file to someone I always ask what version they're using and always convert any active fonts to outlines. If Adobe would ever bother to offer a font substitution dialog box for missing fonts in the file>open dialog I might start leaving fonts active in .AI files I send to others. Even if both users have Helvetica installed on their computer Illustrator will default the type to Myriad if both users don't have the exact same flavor of Helvetica installed. Are they using 1950's Helvetica or 1980's Helvetica Neue? Are they using an old Postscript Type 1 version or are they using a newer OpenType build? What if they're really using Helvetica clones like Swiss 721 or Nimbus Sans? At least CorelDRAW will give users an out for this. With Illustrator you have to convert type to outlines just to be safe.

While CorelDRAW can import/export Adobe Illustrator files, its results on the import/export operations can vary greatly. Neither CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator knows how to properly import objects filled with interactive gradients made in the rival app. App-dependent "live" effects, such as envelopes, 3D extrusion effects and lots of other things must be "flattened" before exporting.

This is one of the big reasons why I have both CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator installed. I can proof the import/export results in either app and make any necessary adjustments.