• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nexgen Foils...

Tim Aucoin

Anyone had experience with Nexgen foils on the FX (or earlier Edge)? One of my local suppliers carries Nexgen for the FX and they are a substantial savings over Gerber foils. Just wondering if they're a decent substitute and if they would affect warranty. I realize there is limited color selection, but they have a pretty good selection!

Thanks for any feedback! :rock-n-roll:

Oh yeah, just so ya know... I did do a search on here, but couldn't find too much info on Nexgen!

signage

As far as warranty Gerber will not warranty any after market foil/vinyl out come! Also be forewarned that after market foils do not work on all vinyls, you will most likely not beable to use them on static cling! For normal vinyl printing they work fairly well, but some have found Durocoat and Apex to be mo compatible! You may also want to join 4edgtalk as it is more geared toward the edges!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i run an edge le...i have some 09 foils in stock...they are only used for temp signage and gold tourneys....otherwise i only use gerber foils...ive found that when using the 09 foils i need to clean the printhead more often, and have more dirt in my prints than if i stick with gerber foils....

also, if you're ever having an issue with a print and call gerber for support, their first question will be: are you using gerber vinyls? foils?

if you answer no to either one of those question, they won't help you until you have tried the exact same job with gerber materials....

personally, i prefer the prints i get from gerber foils...i feel they are superior in quality to 09 and duracoat....

yes it is a little more out of the pocket, but i'd prefer to spend the money on the foil than on the vinyl and foil when i don't get a good print..

also, not sure if they have it for the FX (don't know why they wouldn't), but i would suggest getting the UV abrasion guard....i put it on damn near everything i print that is expected to be outside and for long term use...

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Although I prefer Gerber foils I have used them quite a bit and they work fine. Chemical resistance is much better than the legacy line.

UltraHIVE

Tim, save your Gerber FX hubs when your out of foil. ive been able to use just about every type of foil made for Edge and Edge FX, by re-rolling non-edge foils onto FX hubs. if i run into any issues, i change the design output color to black in the project file. that effects the heat setting i guess, a trick a Gerber tech told me.

BRUSHMARKS

we have some nexgen foils not alot of problems work well for basic stuff. We tryed chrome foil on to gerber 220? i believe, clear and it would not stick so we had to back all the chrome with black first. So some problems but for the most part pretty good.

UltraHIVE

we have some nexgen foils not alot of problems work well for basic stuff. We tryed chrome foil on to gerber 220? i believe, clear and it would not stick so we had to back all the chrome with black first. So some problems but for the most part pretty good.

i use Gerber Silver Medal (chrome) foil, on Oracal clear 651, and set the color to black in Composer, prints better and more consistant then any other color i have. its mind boggling :)