Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Next Step up from Coroplast?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by JohnnyInfamous, Oct 24, 2018.

1. JohnnyInfamous

JohnnyInfamous New Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indiana
    I have a customer looking to get a large number of plastic interior hanging signs, about 3' x 4.5' with full color print on both sides. I don't want to use a corrugated plastic, as it just looks cheap (because it is) but I don't want to step all the way up to expanded PVC sheets. I'm confident that there's an array of plastic sheet products that could work here, I just don't use them often enough to know what to quote here. Usually when it comes to sign substrates, ACM and PVC are the cheapest materials I generally go to.

These would hang from the top two corners, so it should be a relatively rigid substrate, but not too heavy, and preferably can be printed onto both sides directly with a flatbed printer.

What materials would you all use in this circumstance? Thanks! -John

2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    1/2 Foamcore. White/Black/White.

3. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    There different grades on coroplast, as in a smooth surface so it looks higher quality

4. JohnnyInfamous

JohnnyInfamous New Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indiana
    Foamcore is a borderline curse word at our facility, so I'd like to stay away from that if I can. Is there a brand/product you'd recommend of the coroplast with the more premium smooth surface? I've only ever handled the cheaply made boards where the ridged surface texture is fairly obvious. It's also not easy (for me) to tell with an online search what you're describing. Thanks for the help so far, all!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    gatorboard is nice for interior signs

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    We do signs like you are describing utilizing .04 styrene

Works great for our clients

7. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    Ultraboard? The styrene faces give a nice surface.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. HandsomeBob

HandsomeBob Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    This is where you have to sell the client on what is best for them. You did not say if these signs were permanent or promotional.

If these signs are going to hang you need some weight that none of the foam boards will provide. If these are in a warehouse the air currents will make them wave in the breeze. Even in an office with AC there will be wind.

Also sign the foam boards have exposed cells on the edges after cutting they will accumulate dirt and dust and will be hard to clean.

For hanging .125 to .25 inch thick PVC is what will work best for the client.

Some of the foam boards recommended above are more expensive than PVC.

When hanging a thinner substrate do not put holes in the corners. Put the holes in a few inches from the corners to balance the thinness of the sheet against the sheet slumping in the middle.

The customer is not always right, but the customer is always the customer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 50 Pt Luster board from Neenah. Prints great on FB.

10. 2CT Media

2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    A big step up but small price jump is BubbleX. It's way stronger with a slightly textured matte surface great for interior and exterior signs. It's also opaque vs std coros translucent.

It's a great product that we have been very successfully converting clients that don't need stakes over to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We actually recently found an even better version called AkyPrint, its even stronger and smoother than BubbleX with a Brighter white point.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Where do you get that?

• Like Like x 1
  13. 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We found it through Piedmont Plastics, but a few others are bringing it in.

14. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    One of their reps came in the store about a year ago. A company called Lairds Plastics is the one they recommended, but they don't have a route in my area yet and want to charge like $75 for courier. So we've still be unable to get BubbleX or AkyPrint. AkyPrint has a good amount of options and we were also really impressed with it's rigidity. I'd say the 4mm and the 5.4mm were just a bit less rigid than 4mm ACM, but probably two or three times more rigid than 4mm corrugated plastic.

15. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    At that size, any PVC or plastic type product will warp/bow/belly. 1/4" gator would be your best bet. However, anything close to air movement like an air conditioner vent or a door opening and closing will create some swinging, but at least the product will stay 100% flat. As for foamboard, that word is taboo almost anywhere.

16. 2CT Media

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    It's a great product, we did a whole bunch of signs for a tennis court and the balls are constantly hitting it. Last I checked there weren't any dents in it.