• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Next Step up from Coroplast?

JohnnyInfamous

I have a customer looking to get a large number of plastic interior hanging signs, about 3' x 4.5' with full color print on both sides. I don't want to use a corrugated plastic, as it just looks cheap (because it is) but I don't want to step all the way up to expanded PVC sheets. I'm confident that there's an array of plastic sheet products that could work here, I just don't use them often enough to know what to quote here. Usually when it comes to sign substrates, ACM and PVC are the cheapest materials I generally go to.

These would hang from the top two corners, so it should be a relatively rigid substrate, but not too heavy, and preferably can be printed onto both sides directly with a flatbed printer.

What materials would you all use in this circumstance? Thanks! -John

2B

There different grades on coroplast, as in a smooth surface so it looks higher quality

JohnnyInfamous

Foamcore is a borderline curse word at our facility, so I'd like to stay away from that if I can. Is there a brand/product you'd recommend of the coroplast with the more premium smooth surface? I've only ever handled the cheaply made boards where the ridged surface texture is fairly obvious. It's also not easy (for me) to tell with an online search what you're describing. Thanks for the help so far, all!

HandsomeBob

This is where you have to sell the client on what is best for them. You did not say if these signs were permanent or promotional.

If these signs are going to hang you need some weight that none of the foam boards will provide. If these are in a warehouse the air currents will make them wave in the breeze. Even in an office with AC there will be wind.

Also sign the foam boards have exposed cells on the edges after cutting they will accumulate dirt and dust and will be hard to clean.

For hanging .125 to .25 inch thick PVC is what will work best for the client.

Some of the foam boards recommended above are more expensive than PVC.

When hanging a thinner substrate do not put holes in the corners. Put the holes in a few inches from the corners to balance the thinness of the sheet against the sheet slumping in the middle.

The customer is not always right, but the customer is always the customer.

Christian @ 2CT Media

A big step up but small price jump is BubbleX. It's way stronger with a slightly textured matte surface great for interior and exterior signs. It's also opaque vs std coros translucent.

It's a great product that we have been very successfully converting clients that don't need stakes over to.

bannertime

One of their reps came in the store about a year ago. A company called Lairds Plastics is the one they recommended, but they don't have a route in my area yet and want to charge like $75 for courier. So we've still be unable to get BubbleX or AkyPrint. AkyPrint has a good amount of options and we were also really impressed with it's rigidity. I'd say the 4mm and the 5.4mm were just a bit less rigid than 4mm ACM, but probably two or three times more rigid than 4mm corrugated plastic.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
At that size, any PVC or plastic type product will warp/bow/belly. 1/4" gator would be your best bet. However, anything close to air movement like an air conditioner vent or a door opening and closing will create some swinging, but at least the product will stay 100% flat. As for foamboard, that word is taboo almost anywhere.

Christian @ 2CT Media

One of their reps came in the store about a year ago. A company called Lairds Plastics is the one they recommended, but they don't have a route in my area yet and want to charge like $75 for courier. So we've still be unable to get BubbleX or AkyPrint. AkyPrint has a good amount of options and we were also really impressed with it's rigidity. I'd say the 4mm and the 5.4mm were just a bit less rigid than 4mm ACM, but probably two or three times more rigid than 4mm corrugated plastic.
It's a great product, we did a whole bunch of signs for a tennis court and the balls are constantly hitting it. Last I checked there weren't any dents in it.