• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nice Deal on some Monitors.

WildWestDesigns

I like them too. I bought one years ago (CRT) that is still working. Bought it because I'd used them where I worked and they were so great. Then about 3 years ago, decided to go with LCD and got another Viewsonic. Sadly, that one bit the dust shortly after the Manufacturer's warranty expired, which was just a fluke I guess. Again, CRT is still kickin!

Because of the experience with the LCD though, the last 3 LCD monitors we've purchased were not Viewsonics, they were: DELL, DELL, and SAMSUNG.

Hmm, I hope that was a fluke or maybe my experience is the fluke (who knows nowadays).

I only have the one Viewsonic going now though and that's the 22". I do have a 22" Samsung as my second monitor, but it is strictly entertainment. It just doesn't render the same as either the Viewsonic or my 3rd monitor which is the Cintiq 21UX for any type of design work. Not saying that I don't like the Samsung, I do, but it isn't design material worthy, atleast the one that I have.

jhanson

At my shop we bought a large batch of VA1912wb widescreen Viewsonic LCDs sometime in the last four years, and over half of them have died since. I've seen a lot of other Viewsonic LCD screens that had display problems (ghosting, blurry images) show up within 3 years.

ViewSonic was good back in the CRT days, when they sourced good components, but now they're just using lowest cost LCDs and backlights. Hanns-G IMO makes much better screens at lower prices.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
As has been mentioned many times before... if you want higher quality image display and better viewing angles look for an ips screen. They are usually 2-3x higher in cost. If you want a cheaper monitor and neither of the above are critical then you likely are buying a TN panel monitor. This is why you can have a 24 inch monitor for $200 or $1000. You get what you pay for

jhanson

Just in case anyone was wondering, all of Apple's Cinema Display and Thunderbolt Display monitors use IPS (for the LCD versions, anyway).

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i just hooked up a vizio 42" LED i got at sams club for $350.

took my 21" samsung and put it to theright, turned 90 degrees and set it up at portrait view - makes a great email/pdf viewer....

screen res is beautiful....

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
i just hooked up a vizio 42" LED i got at sams club for $350.

took my 21" samsung and put it to theright, turned 90 degrees and set it up at portrait view - makes a great email/pdf viewer....

screen res is beautiful....

I cannot imagine having such a large screen that close to my eyes. Most TV lcds are at 1920x1080. My 23inch lcd is a bit better than that. The resolution on TVs are not really any better, just everything is larger. Am I missing something? You are not the first person to mention using a TV as a monitor.

i guess if you are several feet away from the screen you might be ok.

WildWestDesigns

I cannot imagine having such a large screen that close to my eyes. Most TV lcds are at 1920x1080. My 23inch lcd is a bit better than that. The resolution on TVs are not really any better, just everything is larger. Am I missing something? You are not the first person to mention using a TV as a monitor.

28" is as big as I would go for a monitor close up (using one right now as I type this out in the shop, but it's off my ubuntu computer though). The 28" Hannspree that I'm using is a monitor, not a TV. I can tell the difference between a TV and a true monitor. It renders differently. I wouldn't use a TV monitor for anything other then basic internet/email/entertainment.

Too bad about other people's experience with Viewsonic. My 15" has passed the 4 yr mark, so maybe I got a good LCD of theirs. The 22" hasn't quite hit a year yet, so the jury has a long way to go before the verdict is in on that one.

I had a really old CRT Viewsonic and that thing was still working very well before I got rid of it. That monitor survived 5 computers. I still miss it in some respects.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
my crt is a viewsonic ... passing 10 year mark next month. slowly dieing now ... but what can you expect ... it's 19" awesomeness has paid for itself.

I want an ips monitor dualed out ... sadly i'm not going to go for that ... i'm going to probably get a couple 25" or 27" monitors when my crt dies. IPS is nice, but that will be on the next system after the price has dropped a little bit.

ddarlak

Go Bills!

at 43 i've entered the i can't see a f*kn thing anymore stage of my life. i got glasses, but i hate them.

i tend to kick back in my chair, which gives me a little further to the screen than normal.... as i type this, i'm using my 52" samsung connected to my laptop with a remote keyboard lounging on the sofa

yes everything is just larger, but it's workin for me

Suz

at 43 i've entered the i can't see a f*kn thing anymore stage of my life. i got glasses, but i hate them.

Haha!:U Rock: I guess it is okay to admit I want my next wide screen to be a big TV!!! That would serve a couple of purposes, wouldn't it?

But back to monitors and LCD's to be specific... I love love love my Dell Dell Dell!!! 22" Good Color, good resolution, good everything!