• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Night Pictures are printing to dark

morty87

Hello, I am using a mutoh 1624 with flexi 12 software. I have been noticing that when I print night time pictures the print is ending up really dark compared to the picture I have loaded. I am using glossy photopaper and printing at 1440x1440. pls see attached images of camera picture and the printed poster. Thanks for any suggestions on how I can correct/fix this.

Attachments

• camera picture.jpg
    camera picture.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 224
  • building.jpg
    building.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 197

Joe House

I agree with Vander - there's a definite color shift between the two. I also agree with JBest - how are you saving the image? What RIP are you using?

morty87

I agree with Vander - there's a definite color shift between the two. I also agree with JBest - how are you saving the image? What RIP are you using?

I have been using photoshop and saving as pdf an then using flexi version 12 I believe it is.

Joe House

I have been using photoshop and saving as pdf an then using flexi version 12 I believe it is.

I would start by using a High quality JPG or a TIFF format with RGB colorspace. Is your monitor profiled? And how accurate is that profile? That will make a difference as well.
Then, besides the profile, there are a number of RIP settings that can make a difference. And a canned profile will never outperform a customer profile built on your RIP, RIP settings, printer, media in your environment. Until you're ready to make the investment in custom profiles, you're going to have to do a lot of experimenting till you get what you want for that picture. And the next picture may take different settings, so you may have to start all over again. There should be a tab in RIP and Print, or it may be once you have the job in production manager where you can tweak the colors.
Another trick is to open up the file directly into production manager, bypassing the design side of Flexi.

Good Luck

unclebun

Since it's a photograph and you're using Photoshop, forget making a pdf file. Just save it as a photo file like a jpg or a tiff. Your RIP software will do a better job of handling the colors that way. Your end result has a lot more wrong than just being too dark--it's entirely different colors than the original photo.

All the comments about the profile for the paper being wrong are valid as well, but you may find that the result is far more acceptable, even using a canned profile, if you leave the photo in an RGB photo file type.