• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nikkalite - Not so easy...

jrpaceys

Hey All,

Got some recommendation to try using Nikkalite as a flat sign solution instead of IJ-680. I really like the way it images but have run into a couple of issues that I couldn't make sense of. Curious if anyone else has run into these issues with the product, if it's a user problem, or if you simple get what you pay for ! Printing - the pinch rollers on my CJV30 were leaving marks in the Nikkalite (never and issue with any other media), everytime it advanced there would be a mark, even if it was on an unimaged area. Also found that even peeling the backer off, you cause lines in the Nikkalite that impacted the colour of the image.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks again !

121a

We too have issues with Nikkalite. We get them from BNSF to do the barricades on the back of some of their vehicles and we can never use it. The stuff tears way to easily and is so brittle. That being said, we only use 3M 680 now, much easier. For our in-house jobs we have IJ5100 and the 680CR. We print on our CJV30 and both are exceptional films.

jrpaceys

We have been for some time using the 680 and loving it. Were looking for a more affordable flat application reflective, so we gave Nikkalite a try...suppose we got what we paid for!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Which one did you get? We use the M8512 - a LOT of it. No, it's not as nice to work with as the 3M 680 but.... at a third the cost I have no complaints. We have not had problems with roller marks but - it does bruise pretty easily leaving a line if you bend it too sharp when installing or in the same idea - apply it to a point in the backing and then angle the rest out to a sharp angle to start pulling the rest of the backing off. We have gotten used to working with it though and can for the most part avoid any of that no problem. Might not be for everyone though.... We do use 3M 680 as well but only if a client specifically requests it. We go though a couple of 48" 50yd rolls of the Nikkalite a month - compared to 3M 680 it saves us probably 30 grand a year.