• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nissan's getting ito the wrap biz

S

Stan B

Hey can I ask you how hard competition is?

Original wraps is a part of Great Big Color, and their name is no joke, they're great, and they're big.

My shop 5,000 sqft shop is quarter mile their 40,000 sq ft shop. Ask me how hard competition is. Go ahead.

S

Stan B

fun is fun but I really ask you how tuff competition is?

example - there may be huge walmart store selling all to all and a 1 major road to it. On a corner there may be a small farmers stand with fresh farm produce. It may be x3 more than walmart and selection may be very limited to the season, and it may have no advertising at all, but because of the big brother it will sell wonders.

So I would really like to see if you were able to benefit from your location \ off the wagon sales?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Someone should direct Rick to the gallery section of that site.
The first layout there looks like it might infringe on his trademarked circle design.

wayne k
guam usa

HulkSmash

fun is fun but I really ask you how tuff competition is?

example - there may be huge walmart store selling all to all and a 1 major road to it. On a corner there may be a small farmers stand with fresh farm produce. It may be x3 more than walmart and selection may be very limited to the season, and it may have no advertising at all, but because of the big brother it will sell wonders.

So I would really like to see if you were able to benefit from your location \ off the wagon sales?

There's many sign shops around. Mostly Sign a Rama and Fast signs..
So we get pretty good work coming through because people don't want to deal with franchises. As for wraps... We had to lower our pricing to compete with companies like them..which is OK.. and since we've lowered it it seems to be working quite well. My company has gained quite a good rep (5 stars on Google and Dex) which helps bring more business.. The thing that kinda annoys me is customers want to come in and pay internet prices for real estate signs. ( aka $1.50 per 18x24 double sided coro with stakes. )
The real comp. i have is a company which is about 2 miles away.. they have made their prices so low, no one can compete with them.. im almost positive they lose money on some of their stuff it's so low. But i dont think they care as long as those small jobs they lose on bring bigger ones. Welcome to the monopoly.

WildWestDesigns

The real comp. i have is a company which is about 2 miles away.. they have made their prices so low, no one can compete with them.. im almost positive they lose money on some of their stuff it's so low. But i dont think they care as long as those small jobs they lose on bring bigger ones. Welcome to the monopoly.

You have to find a niche. I give customers options on everything that I can do. Sometimes that can be a pain in the ass, because they want to go through all the options, but it keeps them coming back.

One thing I have noticed about the big companies that price things low, you really don't have a lot of options. I can't tell you how much business I've gotten just because people didn't have this option or that option.

HulkSmash

You have to find a niche. I give customers options on everything that I can do. Sometimes that can be a pain in the ass, because they want to go through all the options, but it keeps them coming back.

One thing I have noticed about the big companies that price things low, you really don't have a lot of options. I can't tell you how much business I've gotten just because people didn't have this option or that option.

If you don;t mind me asking... what are some options you provide that helps with comp.

WildWestDesigns

If you don;t mind me asking... what are some options you provide that helps with comp.

Well, I'll give you the embroidery angle.

There is a franchise that has a pretty good presence around here that'll do jackets, hats, shirts etc. One thing that I've noticed with them is that if you come in there with a custom job, you'll only be able to get this small amount of thread colors per pattern and if there is any text you only have these fonts to choose from(which is a pathetic 5 fonts). Even though my machine is only a 6 needle machine, I'll let them do as many thread colors as they want. Now they do pay for that. I also give them a choice of all the fonts that I have available to me either through the embroidery CAD program or through Illustrator(I do all my work design work first in Illustrator and then send it to the CAD program which also works in vectors).

Now all that seems simple enough, but what I'll also do is if they want, I can put a pattern within the main pattern of the embroidery file. In other words, I might have a peacock pattern and I'll put in little zigzags in there that when you move the fabric in different angles, it looks like the "feathers" are moving. That's something that most shops won't or can't do.

I will admit that most of my embroidery business is actually the design work(which I do charge by the hour with my giving them all these options) as most of the people have their own dedicated embroidery machine or it's the hobbyist with the sewing/embroidery machine.

It's really just simple stuff like that that people do respond to.