• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

NIX Color Sensor - Report

thesignexpert

Just received my NIX Color Sensor today from the Kickstarter campaign back in October 2103. It showed up via USPS in a little box and was packaged decently well. No issues or damage on that front. Right out of the box I couldn't get it to calibrate or scan a color but a couple of resets with a paperclip and we were rolling. It communicates directly to the iPhone app via Bluetooth. My thought was to just do straight scans of various PMS coated chips and build some color samples by assigning the exact NIX output CMYK percentages. The swatches were built in CorelDraw X5, each color was identified and I just plugged in the CMYK numbers that the sensor spit out. No adjusting or tweaking.

Media: 3M ControlTac 480cv3
Laminate: 3M 8548g
Printer: HP Latex L25500
RIP: Onyx Postershop
Profile: HP Adhesive film...

Here is what we ended up with. Some were pretty good, some way off, and some not horrible at all considering I picked some intense colors that are difficult for CMYK printing. Overall, I think the NIX could be a good tool in a shop's color arsenal especially if you do a lot of printing and color matching. It seems to be fairly good at getting close enough right from the start allowing for a faster tweaking cycle for faster final color.

DSC02396.JPG DSC02398.JPG DSC02399.JPG DSC02400.JPG

bigben

for myself, since I do not have a ios phone, I have to use the desktop software (version 1.7). I've just made a test for the yellow in photoshop and it's way off so far.

Attachments

• nix-scan-test.jpg
    nix-scan-test.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 93

thesignexpert

How did it actually produce off your printer? I noticed with my tests that some looked odd on the screen but printed pretty well. Of course I also had some that looked great on screen and were way off on the actual print.

TDFcustomSL

As far as Im concerened my NIX is nothing but junk. Will not calibrate with the card, will not scan any color. every single scan returns a white result. Disconnects from Bluetooth at any given time and refuses to re connect. Complete waste of money, glad you guys are having somewhat better luck.

mameighan

I had mine working on my PC last night. Now it will only pick up white or black even after re calibration. Great idea but buggy. Hopefully they will work it out!