• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No business

fmg

You know, I wasn't calling anyone out on being lazy. I just get tired of "this economy" being the excuse FOR EVERYTHING!!! BTW, soybean prices are around $14, so I could care less if I had any sign jobs come in. They hit $16 and you might not hear from the 'ol Mosh, cause I will be kicking it on some island somewhere...
I'm sure Mexico would be a good destination for you. You would feel right at home there!

Mosh

Good luck with that! Argentina will not let corn get much above $6-$7. Also lots of ethenol plants going up here, driving the corn market. I have 95K bs of storage so I can play the market a bit anyway. The ONLY reason I do beans is less trips, corn I got 200 and acre beans I get 60-70. Lot less work, same pay, or more!

WildWestDesigns

Good luck with that! Argentina will not let corn get much above $6-$7. Also lots of ethenol plants going up here, driving the corn market. I have 95K bs of storage so I can play the market a bit anyway. The ONLY reason I do beans is less trips, corn I got 200 and acre beans I get 60-70. Lot less work, same pay, or more!

My grandfather was alive he used to play the CBOT a bit(now it's the CME) with hedging his corn and cotton. Ag. commodities are just a little too scary for me to do that.

klemgraphics

I think we should all quit fooling around with signs and move to Nebraska or Iowa so we can get rich like Mosh. At least your honest about being able to fill up your silos with cash, around here all the farmers cry about how they don't make squat but somehow they always drive brand new $60k trucks, have the nicest houses, and still have time to drive around doing jack all day long. I get tired of hearing it, especially since I know its BS.

Mosh

They key is to own the property. Not having to share or pay rent leaves me alot that most farmers can't. Too many guys are "chasing acres" to make payments. I started small and payed for everything as I went, and added acres as I got more cash reserves. I have some newer equipment, but everything I have is 5-10 years old. I see others out here getting new stuff every year, but are BORROWING against the whole farm to get it. If I die today I owe NOTHING, so my kids won't have the bank come a calling. I think THAT is the key in any type of business, farming or signs.

iSign

I just get tired of "this economy" being the excuse FOR EVERYTHING!!!

...problem with a lot of things, is anybody paying attention knows damn well economic fluctuations are effecting people in record numbers..

...and while it is a complex issue to "blame things on", because there has been a perfect storm of contributing factors... a lot of people are screwed...

...and if 5% of the people crying poor are just lazy.. what else is new...

...the fact remains that 95% of those bemoaning the economy really were jacked by it this time...(look I'm obviously pulling these stats outta nowhere.. just adjust them to your own beliefs)

As for operation on a cash basis... fine concept, and certainly one that can work... but history has shown many generations of entrepreneurs making their fortune on borrowed money, so just because the concept screwed a lot of people this last time around, I don't see it as an inferior scenario to paying cash in the long run...

It's easy for those positioned to better survive these economic challenges to throw down judgmental commentary on those suffering, but if it was record silo freezing instead of record recession, even "the mosh" might be a little less judgmental today... (again, not claiming to know one iota about farming, just looking for any example of "fate" or Murphy's law... nobody's exempt)

Mosh

It's easy for those positioned to better survive these economic challenges to throw down judgmental commentary on those suffering, but if it was record silo freezing instead of record recession, even "the mosh" might be a little less judgmental today...

I don't have silage!I have bins, big difference. My point is even in the great depression people made money, there are ALOT of lazy people out there looking for an excuse!!!

Silos are for silage to feed animals, I don't do that kind of farming BTW!

AND I am not trying to put anyone down by any means.

iSign

it ain't a point... next party you got to with twice the people & half the beer, somebody's getting less... maybe you'll be the big dog that day too & won't feel it... or maybe not... but somebody will & it because the beer ain't flowing like it once was... period

Mosh

? The "natural light" is flowing all over here. In fact I just had a problem. Back in a bit, or not.....Silly democrats! The fish with all the shinny fins gave them all tohis friens until none of them was shiney...communists... desk.....floorr...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think Mosh is at that party now with twice the beer and half the people.....

wayne k
guam usa

iSign

I think Mosh is at that party now with twice the beer and half the people.....

Brilliant Wayne... as always...
like the saying "we don't buy beer, we just rent it" (since it flows right through so fast)...

...I think that is a perfect analogy to global economics, and points right at the gaping hole in my "only so many slices of pie" theory above...

...in reality I think the global "pie" doesn't really diminish.. it just that some "pie" ends up at the party I described & some ends up at the party Wayne described :wink:

Marlene

My main focus is vinyl signs and motorsports.

vinyl signs, is that just vinyl lettering or signs with a substrate? sounds like most of your stuff is summer time work on things people do in the warmer months. how do you advertise? how do people looking for a sign find you? those are just a couple of things to think about. you can't always find everyone out there needing work to be done, you need to make it possible for them to find you too.

Fanaticus

do things other people aren't doing. Hit several smaller niche markets. Get the word out there about what you can do for people, even if it's printing and posting fliers in laundry mats and grocery stores. There's a lot you can do with the equipment you have, you just have to do it and let people know you do it. Keep pricing fair and right and take care of your customer. Hand out business cards, post business cards everywhere you can, laundry mats, grocery stores, libraries, bars, gas stations... everywhere you can. If you're legit and pay taxes on what you earn be sure to record all your expenses, including your milage (document it)... it's all deductible.

Go to the bookstore and pick up a few recently published books on marketing and even internet marketing. Guerilla style. Don't go to the library and borrow books that are 15 years old unless you're very traditional.

Set up a website, even if it's a free one based on a template. Even a facebook page... something so that people can learn something about you and what you can do for them.

Submerse yourself in your business. You ARE the business. Let people know what you can do for them.

Billct2

Ok, I hate to say it, but Mosh's first suggestion...hit the bricks and find ratty looking signs and offer redos has been the old standby in this business since the big depression and before.