• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

no color from one printer head roland sp 540v

Johanswe

I have changed both cap top, wipers, pump, both printer heads. I only get black and blue, not yellow or red. what's wrong? can someone even answer how often I should clean my heads? (Manual and the programs in the machine)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you know ink flowing through the head and it still doesn't fire, the head fuse has blown on the main board. Depending on how old your model is, it might be a socketed fuse which is easy to change but if it's older, you'll have to solder it.

Johanswe

the color (yellow and red) goes past the cap top and through the pump.

where is the main board? what does the fuse look like?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Power down and unplug the power cord. Remove the back cover over the electronics. See the attached drawing for fuse location. The 2 fuses will be between the 2 large white ribbons that go into the carriage train. Set your multimeter to the most sensitive resistance scale. Use a regular multimeter, not a clamp-on voltmeter. Good fuses will read zero. A bad fuse will not read anything.

Attachments

• SP540V mainboard fuse location.jpg
    SP540V mainboard fuse location.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 308

Bryce I

I'm Brie
I have changed both cap top, wipers, pump, both printer heads. I only get black and blue, not yellow or red. what's wrong? can someone even answer how often I should clean my heads? (Manual and the programs in the machine)

Looks like Jim has the answer to your issue, but as far as your general question:
I do a manual head cleaning once a week.
At the beginning of every day of printing, I do a test print to check the heads. If There's any dots missing, I'll have the machine do a regular cleaning.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I agree. We start out every day with a test print and color bar print. Then after lunch we do the same. But our printers are running pretty much non stop all day long and I have 1 woman that babysits 3 machines and 2 plotters.

As for your problem its either a fuse or ribbon cable.

Johanswe

thanks for all the answers! Has now got the mainboard back and now it should work. BUT still no red and yellow color, what can I check now?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
thanks for all the answers! Has now got the mainboard back and now it should work. BUT still no red and yellow color, what can I check now?

If you didn't fix the issue that made the fuse pop in the first place, it might have popped again. Make sure you are working with themachine turned off and unplugged. Then wait for about 15 minutes before working on it. Then check the head cables on both ends for damage, ink splatter, or corrosion. Replace as necessary. It's usually the head cables but I like to air dust all the terminals just in case. At the end of the day, if the fuse isn't blown and it still won't fire, the head is either clogged completely or fried electronically.

Johanswe

the guy who helped me is working on building similar cards and has replaced the components that burned the fuse.

I'll have to check the cables tomorrow. can I check something on my head to see if it is burned?

Johanswe

today I have changed the cables from printerhead which worked (blue and black) to the other, and then it prints yellow and red. the cables are checked with a multimeter and are intact. can I check something else?

Johanswe

there were two c4131 transistors that were burned and they have been replaced and now it works. Thanks for all the answers!