• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No idea what I am doing....

Almost Heaven Decal Co

I am a slow learner
Hello from Almost Heaven WV! I an a newbie when it comes to vinyl (decals, signs, banners, etc.) Recently purchased a vinyl "business" from a friend. Anxious to get started and learn what I can. I am a tattoo artist by trade, but I am looking to branch out as this career doesn't have the best retirement plan lol. Looking forward to getting some great advice from experienced users.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Hello from Almost Heaven WV! I an a newbie when it comes to vinyl (decals, signs, banners, etc.) Recently purchased a vinyl "business" from a friend. Anxious to get started and learn what I can. I am a tattoo artist by trade, but I am looking to branch out as this career doesn't have the best retirement plan lol. Looking forward to getting some great advice from experienced users.

Congrats on your change of career. You'll find plenty of wisdom and some wit here..among other things. Will look forward to helping you.

When you ask a question here... be thoughtful and explain everything you can in order to get the best response. Omitting things and being vague and making us work to get information out can result in frustrated responses.

Last edited:

E Coloney

As with any business, you don't do people a favor by undercharging and going out of business and not being there the next time they need you. You do them a favor by giving them a good quality product at a fair price (where you make money).

Johnny Best

Well, I don't have a lotta sound advice, but I've been attending the School of Hard Knocks for about 47 years, so I might be able to warn you on some levels.

I think they installed a doorbell at that school for the millennials because they did not like all the hard knocking.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yup, ya gotta watch them old people..they are more into electronic gadgets then we are.

My grandfather has camera systems, smart plugs and that doorbell camera thing on his vacation house and knows how to use all that stuff. ... Course he has more time on his hands then I do to screw around with that stuff

HomeStadiumsScott

I'm somewhat of a newbie as well. My best advice is to learn Adobe Illustrator asap. I followed a great tutorial on Youtube that gives great basics of Illustrator that you can build upon. Link below. Step 2 is to learn your printer!

Rexerex

It may help to know what software and equipment you are using. Also, what experience you have with computers and design software so the advice is better for your experience level.