• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No laminator

Bluedog

I am new to digital printing and was researching printers and laminators, so I have a few questions . I just watched the big squeegee videos on you tube, so being that I have budget constraints am I right in thinking I don't need a laminator right off the bat? This can be done with the big squeegee? Does all lamination film have backing paper? I don't plan on anything big at this time and was considering the VersaStudio BN 20! Last one, am i correct in saying u can laminate with cast laminate over calendered vinyl?
Thanks for any help!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It kinda depends on what you need laminated. For onesies and twosies, the Big Squeegee will work just fine, but if you do a partial wrap or some 4' x 8's it could get old real quick. If funds are lacking, be careful and try to make that your next purchase, even if it's a used one.

Signsforwhile

I'm in a minority here but our Daige Quickmount has been producing money for us for over 5 years. It's seen it's share of wear, and it did take a VERY long time to figure out it's quirks. It is an extremely simple machine that works well enough. I think it was thrown together with our Mutoh package as incentive to buy. I think a new one can be picked up for $2k....

Bluedog

My thoughts are to trim off the extra lamination film and reload to contour cut? Is this my best solution to small outdoor signage ? I have been doing cut vinyl for years, but this digital printing is all new to me! I have learned a lot just reading on here, Thank you everyone !

Patentagosse

I've worked over 4 years with my 38" Daige w/o any issue. When I swapped my 30" printer for a 54", I've decided to go a step higher in term of quality but as I was still on a budget, I haven't made the move to the expensive ones like Seal, Royal S, GBC... but found decent laminator for about half the big boys prices.

As for your laminate question (cast - calendred): you'd better use cast on cast and calendred over calendred BUT, if like me you hate to change your laminate roll just for a sheet, you can laminate cast over calendred. Other than cost by sq. ft., I never seen any difference. No problem. NEVER DO THE OPPOSITE THOUGH...

chafro

Last month was my seal laminator 10th birthday.

These laminators are well made and worth every penny!

Bly

To make money along with a printer you should budget for a good laminator and colour management tools.

tsgstl

I never make a purchase unless it is warranted.

I have been printing for almost 5 years now and don't own a laminator. I have good relationships with people who do. I either trade out completely or pay from 15 to 25 cents a sq if I provide the lam. For me a panel saw was needed much more than a laminator and until my cost for laminating warrant me buying a laminator I wont.
The big squeegee is essential and very inexpensive. If you have a good table top you will not need anything else unless you do a full wrap.

4R Graphics

Buy a laminator you wont be sorry.

You can get a good china made one from ustech on ebay.

they are in Orlando Florida but ship all over.

TheSnowman

I've used the BS for probably close to 6 years now. Arlon laminate with heavier backing paper allows you to do way bigger pieces with higher success rates, but you can still do it with Oracal, just takes a bigger learning curve.

I don't do anything over 30" with mine. If it's bigger than that, I have a MM print it so that I don't have any risk of ruining a big print and just having to throw it away, and start my time over as well. It's worked perfect being a one man shop, because when I get really busy, that saves me a ton of time and I'm still meeting production demands.

Buy a laminator you wont be sorry.

You can get a good china made one from ustech on ebay.

they are in Orlando Florida but ship all over.

+1 we got a UStech AK-600 and I love it...does everything I need it to do without all the bells and whistles...(it still has a few bells and whistles, which I have since taken off)...much easier than the big squeegie.

ironchef

I agree kraig. We outsourced printed media for over a two years before we bought our printer, i still send the guy i outsourced to jobs like cnc router jobs, channel letters, installs.

petesign

We bought a daige when we didnt know any better. It lasted almost two grueling years. I have a royal sovereign now, and the daige sits in the corner.

gabagoo

if I were starting over with what I know now, I would have had a laminator even before I was digitally printing.

They are great for running pre mask on large vinyl cut jobs as well as applying the vinyl to the signs virtually bubble free.