• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No Laughing Matter.....................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
[h=1]Electronic Highway Signs in Dallas Hacked[/h]

June 7, 2016
AddThis Sharing Buttons

Every state’s department of transportation uses those electronic highway signs to warn of “Lane Closure Ahead” or “Fines Doubled in Construction Zone.”
The problem is, some high-tech pranksters with too much time on their hands and menace in their hearts sometimes like to hack into those signs and create their own messages. The Dallas Morning News has this story about several such instances in that metro area. (And note the last sentence in the story: It may seem like fun and games to the hackers, but the people in the Texas Department of Transportation do not find such shenanigans amusing.)

gorillashot_275_0.png

Now, what kinda moron does this kinda sh!t ?? Seriously, this is just wrong on every count. :noway:

That's a Wanco CMS (Changeable Message Board) from the picture it doesn't appear to be a "connected" board. Meaning the board is only accessible and programmable from the computer in that white box in the picture. Someone with experience with these boards would have to have done this. The board was not "hacked" somebody went into the computer put the password in. And then went through the steps of saving and applying the message to the board. We had a similar issue in our area with a board being changed to "Vote for Trump". Same issue though. It wasn't a connected board and they figured that out and then starting narrowing down who knew the passwords and such. Ended up being an old employee but no way to prove.

klmjff

I meant its hilarious that people can go in and change those stupid freeway signs, not the Gorilla getting whacked...

Now if they could actually input something that's funny....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You seem to fail to realize, these signs are giving out information as to traffic patterns, accidents, times and other very important information for 1,000's or 10s of 1,000s of people. Interfering with this can cause some serious accidents, congestion and other problematic scenarios, which I don't find funny to any extent.

So, if someone hacked your shop work computer where only you and your helper work.... and took everything out and wrote something funny, you'd be laughing, instead of being upset ??

It could be funny if this was at the Dairy Queen or a sandwich shop menu, but not a traffic sign.​

klmjff

Gina,

Calm down. I simply made a comment and I meant no harm by it.

You are continuously posting "funny" stuff on here or responding to someone's post very harshly and everyone takes it in stride.

Relax...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gina,

Calm down. I simply made a comment and I meant no harm by it.

You are continuously posting "funny" stuff on here or responding to someone's post very harshly and everyone takes it in stride.

Relax...

When something is funny, it's generally funny. When something is more serious, it tends to be more serious. Usually, the two don't mix, unless you are trying to calm someone down during a rather bad situation. Telling me to calm down or relax, doesn't do anything. I don't listen to people telling me what to do, as you have gathered. Never had, never will. I will listen to suggestions or invitations, but I don't take orders very well.

I just see it differently and this is a more serious matter than whacking an innocent gorilla or saying the parents were negligent or not. There are many others being changed besides this one, giving people false instructions and causing problems. You can laugh it off and be part of the problem in your own industry. Me, no. I won't participate in furthering this kinda nonsense. Big Easy was a great help and perhaps his information can be forwarded to the authorities.

I'm not upset with you, just surprised that someone in this industry would react with it being hilarious, that's all.