Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No-Maintenance Exterior Sign

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Kaitlin Boisvert, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Kaitlin Boisvert

Kaitlin Boisvert Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Amherst, NH
    I have a client that wants a no-maintenance exterior sign and I'd like know if anyone has any suggestions.
    It will be a 17"H x 50"W panel with the client's logo in color.
    They want to be able to have it last a long time and only be pressure-washed when needed. It also needs to stay simple to keep cost down.
    Please let me know what you think! Thank you!

Tags:
  2. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    cut vinyl on white aluminum

• Like Like x 3
  3. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Active Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    You could sell them a carved stone or concrete sign, or baked cermaic steel, and there are other options but they all cost a fortune or have limited applications. Your best bet is to design a sign using typical high-quality materials availble to the sign industry, then sell a maintenance and service package to go along with it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We're running a special on this right now. White copy and graphics on a white background. 50% off and should last between 10 and 15 years, except for bird guano. That'll need some washing, but use mild detergents and you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    as has been said the only signs that come close to that are Expen$ive. The subsurface fiberglass signs used at parks & zoos are one example and even they only have like a 10 year warranty. For the average customer a factory finished panel like dibond with cut cast vinyl graphics is going to last the logest for a reasonable price. But NO powerwashing! If they want it to last hand wash and wax with a spray on car wax a few times a year and it will extend the life significantly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    gold leaf foam letters on a smalts background

• Like Like x 2
  7. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Calendared vinyl is OK on Dibond signs... the paint from the Dibond usually starts chalking out before the letters do anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

High performance vinyl on aluminum.

one panel, no install should be in the $350-$450 range.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Assuming this is a logo that requires printing, cut dibond and wrap an extra 1" around the panel, mount with tapcons and ge silicone II. If they want to spend a little more, break 063 around a 1" frame, wrap cast print material around the edges of that, mount with 90's tucked behind the frame, screwed top and bottom.
    If they don't require printing, pre-painted white materials with same options, but with cut 3m 7125, will last 'forever'...

• Like Like x 1
  10. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    I'm way off base here on my pricing. This thing is only 17" tall, talk them into 48" wide and you have a good usable drop. What do you get for a 4x8?

• Like Like x 1
  11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    No kidding! In my pricing scheme, this 17x50 might as well be a 4'x4' square of aluminum. At least it's not 17x61

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    Depending on what the logo looks like and what colors are involved...the best options are probably routed King Color Core or Corian. Let me know if you need it done....

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kaitlin Boisvert

Kaitlin Boisvert Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Amherst, NH
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!!!

14. Old Timer

Old Timer Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Livonia
    3mm or 6mm Alupanel with laminated digital print. should last a good long while.

15. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Low maintenance? Exactly what maintenance is required for a typical flat sign? You put it up and in a few ayears it starts to look bad so you take it down and put up another. That is assuming that the excessively anal specimens who would have such a silly requirement would still be in business.

16. JTBoh

JTBoh I sell signage and signage accessories.

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    If they really want to powerwash it, 2nd surface paint on an embossed panface will last decades.

Just have to talk them into it.

17. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    Maybe the experts here would know better but if it's a digital print, it seems to me that a double lam would add more UV inhibitors and extend the life of the print