• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No Marching Ants, Please Help

njteaser

Hi All,

I have just run into a strange problem and have come to the one source for the fix, Signs101! Ok, I recently designed 2 different graphics both are designed in illy cs4. I export them as eps and then open them up in versa works for printing and cutting.

The strange thing is that one of the graphics will show the marching ants around the graphic along the CutContour lines I have in place, and the other will not show any at all? I can’t understand what’s going on, I load one and set it to cut only and it shows the ants, I do the exact same thing with the other and they are not there, and will not cut correctly.

I have checked in illy to make sure the CutContour is named correctly, .25 point, miter 4 and is spot color, it’s exactly the same but there must be something different within the path or something that’s not allowing versa works to see it correctly. I am already behind on this job so if someone could give me a hand on this I would greatly appreciate it. I can email to file over to anyone who wants to look at it for me as well to see what I am doing wrong.

NJ

Attachments

• Cut.jpg
    Cut.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 170
  • NoCut.jpg
    NoCut.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 124

Bigdawg

Just Me
Are you using transparency on any of it? That will conflict with the CutContour... flatten that part of the image and you should be good to go...

njteaser

Are you using transparency on any of it? That will conflict with the CutContour... flatten that part of the image and you should be good to go...

That was it!, damn VersaWorks sucks with transparency issues. I had a small drop shadow on the one graphic, after I flattened it, it fixed the issue. That’s not the first time I have run into an issue where a transparency was causing issues with VersaWorks, it can really use an update!

Thank you for the solution!!!

NJ

Mason

The solution is to understand that an .eps cannot utilize transparency, and VersaWorks will only see the .eps file format from Illustrator, hence no transparency allowed, flatten it first then output to VW as an eps.

I call operator error on this one.

StreamlineDesign

Yep, I agree. Versaworks isn't the only RIP to have problems with transparency. Illustrator warns you when saving with transparencies that there may be problems.