• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No more broken dongle...

John L

I came across something that is working for me and might benefit others so I thought I would post..

I installed on of these in one of our design computer; http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0249134

The design computer is running Flexi8 and uses the usb dongle. I have always known that a broken or missing dongle would cause me a lot of trouble both in unexpected down time and in sending off more money to Flexi/Amiable. The new usb card not only gives us an additional 4 usb ports on the rear of the computer but also has one interior port. I plug the dongle into this interior port and close up the case. This way, no worries about it getting bumped, damaged, or removed for any reason. No one even knows it's there now.

Worked for me.

Bentley Sign

Once you upgrade you flexi to 8.5, there is no more dongle to worry about. but if you still have one that sounds like a great idea.

PMG

Once you upgrade you flexi to 8.5, there is no more dongle to worry about. but if you still have one that sounds like a great idea.
I have 8.5 and 8.6v1 and i have dongles......they gave me the choice with or without a dongle.

cgsigns_jamie

I have 8.5 and 8.6v1 and i have dongles......they gave me the choice with or without a dongle.

Did you have to pay extra to keep your dongle?

They charged me an extra $100 or $150 per license when I upgraded. I couldn't believe they were going to charge me to use a piece of hardware I already owned. I talked to 4 different people and they all gave me the same lame excuse that the dongle version was more complicated to engineer or some crap. I've always had great support from SAi but that really upset me.

Sorry to be a :thread

wonsngis

Great idea, John. I broke my freakin Onyx dongle just last week and I had to pay $130 to have one overnighted to me. Plus, I lost a whole day of printing on one of my printers.

iSign

I paid a lot for the upgrade, but I don't recall being informed that I could have paid less to go the "activation" route. Either way, I chose to keep the dongle, because I felt like the ability to change which computer I run Flexi on might be quicker & more flexible this way.

I use a usb extension to plug my dongle in. I have it attached to the side of the computer, no risk of it getting bumped and broke. Also easy to remove if i want to plug it in another computer.