Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more broken dongle...

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by John L, Feb 15, 2009.

1. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    I came across something that is working for me and might benefit others so I thought I would post..

I installed on of these in one of our design computer; http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0249134

The design computer is running Flexi8 and uses the usb dongle. I have always known that a broken or missing dongle would cause me a lot of trouble both in unexpected down time and in sending off more money to Flexi/Amiable. The new usb card not only gives us an additional 4 usb ports on the rear of the computer but also has one interior port. I plug the dongle into this interior port and close up the case. This way, no worries about it getting bumped, damaged, or removed for any reason. No one even knows it's there now.

Worked for me.

Tags:
  2. Bentley Sign

Bentley Sign Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Once you upgrade you flexi to 8.5, there is no more dongle to worry about. but if you still have one that sounds like a great idea.

3. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    John L, I think its time to update your avatar.

4. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    Why???

5. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I have 8.5 and 8.6v1 and i have dongles......they gave me the choice with or without a dongle.

6. cgsigns_jamie

cgsigns_jamie Very Active Member

Did you have to pay extra to keep your dongle?

They charged me an extra $100 or $150 per license when I upgraded. I couldn't believe they were going to charge me to use a piece of hardware I already owned. I talked to 4 different people and they all gave me the same lame excuse that the dongle version was more complicated to engineer or some crap. I've always had great support from SAi but that really upset me.

Sorry to be a :thread

7. wonsngis

wonsngis Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Rockford, IL
    Great idea, John. I broke my freakin Onyx dongle just last week and I had to pay $130 to have one overnighted to me. Plus, I lost a whole day of printing on one of my printers.

8. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    I paid a lot for the upgrade, but I don't recall being informed that I could have paid less to go the "activation" route. Either way, I chose to keep the dongle, because I felt like the ability to change which computer I run Flexi on might be quicker & more flexible this way.

9. Doug Pulver

Doug Pulver Member

Oct 14, 2008
  10. Finishline Signs

Finishline Signs Active Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Crestview, FL
    I use a usb extension to plug my dongle in. I have it attached to the side of the computer, no risk of it getting bumped and broke. Also easy to remove if i want to plug it in another computer.

11. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    i like the internal! that's killer. no one with frisky fingers can snag it. people are weird nowadays.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Very Good Idea... Thanks...