• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"No More Walk-ins" - Good Idea, or Terrible Mistake?

JBurton

Signtologist
On top of that, these personal project types of people want you to match prices on mass produced items they see on the Internet.
Had a guy come in with a f150, tailgate was embossed and he was looking to have me install inserts. I told him I couldn't produce those, but if he wanted to order them for $60, I'd install them for that price. He ended up getting both his logos blacked out too, totaled $370. I was sure that he would balk at the price, but nope. Unfortunately, not every personal project type is that easy going, and I'd need 100 of them to equate to a pole sign install, that is just as much work on my end...
They got one heck of a deal. Didn't you know the government pays $1,000 for a toilet seat, $600 for a hammer? And that was back in the 90's. But seriously, good job it looks like you do very nice work.
Did you get that from the reader's digest that was always in my grandmas guest bathroom?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I can hardly wait to reply to this LOL

I have a storefront on the busiest street in the area. Walk ins have been the worst part about it and still is. For the most part, I have stopped doing all "personal" orders, unless it seems fun. This is what I say, "Sorry, at this time we only do commercial work. If you want to try back in January, we usually slow down and can sometimes do this kind of work but otherwise, you might want to check with XXX."

For pick ups - I have a one car attached garage where I put all the pick-up orders AND anything small or any order where the customer is annoying.

I have a website where I put all my school orders on, my fatheads, etc. and I tell the "ring-leader mom" to email everyone the link. Last week I had 30+ orders for shirts, all individually wrapped. I set every one of them in the pick-up area and send out an email with directions on how to open the door. I only had one moron who didn't understand how to open the door. Yes - I put 4x8 signs out there also. I PROMISE THIS IS THE BEST IDEA YOU HAVE EVER HAD - A PICK-UP AREA SAVES YOU A TON OF TIME. You also don't have to wait after hours for the guy who says, "I'm going to be a few minutes late." - that is a lie. That person is going to be 30 minutes late or never show up.

There is a sign by my service door. I have a mail slot for checks and cash. I still have people who don't understand how to open the garage door but I don't know what else to do - it's less and less as time goes on. Sometimes people actually leave because they think the service door is the pick-up door which is just a regular door, it's not a garage door. I'm probably going to make a video of myself walking from the service door, to the pick up area and then drop a check in the drop slot and then put it on a QR code and send it out. That's how stupid people are.

6b7923a7-c93b-4249-8498-67d925a84207.jpg
b82dbf68-600a-4d09-aa3a-534b31915350 (1).jpg
9fe53d77-137a-4b36-abb9-ae75f3c3848f (1).jpg

netsol

I agree that eliminating walk ins would not hurt our business, it just seems it would be offensive. Like how would customers pick up orders? We sell a lot of 4x8 construction signs. I don't want to have to deal with delivering every order. We have raised our minimum order and that seems to have taken care of it. My issue are salespeople that drop in.
That’s why i suggested “by appointment only”. customer picking up has an appointment.

and if a johnson & johnson executive comes to the door RULES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN

Warmoth

I appreciate all the responses, very encouraging. I think it's just a matter of time that it happens. I'll have to use Stacey's line one a few people and gauge their reactions.

Besides, there's such a flood of people making stickers on Facebook around here, I really don't mind letting them have the small jobs, as long as we remain defined as the premier choice for serious signs and graphics.

The doors would still be open for pickups and new, valuable, clientele. But I'm thinking a large "Commercial & Industrial Signage" sign on the front might help deter the people looking to put their instagram handle on their car, lol.

JBurton

Signtologist
That's how stupid people are.
I love the sign on the garage door. I can't imagine the dreggs who really can't understand the instructions. Might need to end the video with, 'if you have any questions, or comments, consider your order cancelled and your deposit surrendered. Ain't nobody got time for that sh*t. Don't forget to like us on facebook!' Then do some tiktok dances.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I love the sign on the garage door. I can't imagine the dreggs who really can't understand the instructions. Might need to end the video with, 'if you have any questions, or comments, consider your order cancelled and your deposit surrendered. Ain't nobody got time for that sh*t. Don't forget to like us on facebook!' Then do some tiktok dances.
OMG! I'm going to fall on the floor laughing!!!! I'm crying, that's hilarious! This is actually my all-time favorite saying!!!

R.736a348f4d845991ec8b68b4552a5782

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller

I have a storefront on the busiest street in the area. Walk ins have been the worst part about it and still is. For the most part, I have stopped doing all "personal" orders, unless it seems fun. This is what I say, "Sorry, at this time we only do commercial work. If you want to try back in January, we usually slow down and can sometimes do this kind of work but otherwise, you might want to check with XXX."

For pick ups - I have a one car attached garage where I put all the pick-up orders AND anything small or any order where the customer is annoying.

I have a website where I put all my school orders on, my fatheads, etc. and I tell the "ring-leader mom" to email everyone the link. Last week I had 30+ orders for shirts, all individually wrapped. I set every one of them in the pick-up area and send out an email with directions on how to open the door. I only had one moron who didn't understand how to open the door. Yes - I put 4x8 signs out there also. I PROMISE THIS IS THE BEST IDEA YOU HAVE EVER HAD - A PICK-UP AREA SAVES YOU A TON OF TIME. You also don't have to wait after hours for the guy who says, "I'm going to be a few minutes late." - that is a lie. That person is going to be 30 minutes late or never show up.

There is a sign by my service door. I have a mail slot for checks and cash. I still have people who don't understand how to open the garage door but I don't know what else to do - it's less and less as time goes on. Sometimes people actually leave because they think the service door is the pick-up door which is just a regular door, it's not a garage door. I'm probably going to make a video of myself walking from the service door, to the pick up area and then drop a check in the drop slot and then put it on a QR code and send it out. That's how stupid people are.

View attachment 173453 View attachment 173454 View attachment 173455
after years of teaching middle schoolers, I approve the number of signs

tulsagraphics

And all it takes is a small “By appointment only” sign
That's what I did.
I've been in the biz for 25 years. Back in 2018 I decided to add "Call for an Appointment" to my primary window graphics and keep the door locked 24/7. I also added keyless entry (so deliveries can be made without having to monitor the front door). Later I added a Ring doorbell (works fine since most of the small fry / tire kickers don't even mess with it)
If someone is serious about a job, they'll call for an appointment (usually while they're sitting in the parking lot), so if it's someone worth my time I just tell 'em I have some free time if they want to come by now. They happily jump out of the car and I let them in. So far so good!

GraphixGirl79

I think our shop is at a potential turning point, and I'm really anxious about it. We're a small crew (4 and a part timer). We've been going for 30 years, and this train ain't stopping. We're just incredibly busy, all the time. There's never a lull anymore. And customers seem to be getting pushier and pushier. It's become quite uncomfortable.

Most of our work is for industrial or commercial businesses, and about 12% of our sales are walk-in, small fries. Those walk-ins account for a disproportionate 30% of our total order count. And they seem to be the more difficult and annoying orders.

I'd like to say to the next guy who walks in the door, "Do you represent a company? Because we only do work for businesses", but is this wise? Has anyone gone through with a change like this? Mistake? Relief?!

I'd like to add that we haven't sought work, or advertised in any way in over 25 years. If we suddenly had 30% extra time, we could potentially seek more of the big jobs that we like; The repeat work that equates to printing money. What do y'all think?
We get some of these " walk ins" as well. Expecting their stuff before anyone else, even though we tell them that it's normally a 1-2 week period. In my opinion, if the job doesn't take much time and is a quick turn around, i would keep the customer happy. Those small fries tell all the other small fries how happy they are with your speediness and customer service and in turn can get you more work, that is... If you want it. Word of mouth goes a long way and it's nice to get referrals from customers to increase business. But that' s just my thoughts, happy deciding!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've tried the locking the door thing and it works pretty well. Unfortunately everyone in town knows my truck so they keep banging on the door and get mad if I don't answer. If I really don't' want to be disturbed I park down the road - then nobody stops LOL

rvolkers

i do not believe in turning folks away only in the past a small job has lead to bigger jobs
keep the walkins BUT be honest tell them that the job is just to small and you might be able to get to it - but it might be a while with all you have going on - also if you belong to an organization or have an acquaintance that could do those job send the customer to them a win - win!

mkmie

Lost Soul

View attachment 173453 View attachment 173454 View attachment 173455
How do you stop people from "picking-up" items that don't belong to them? How do you ensure that the customer drops off payment?
Midwestern honesty?

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
How do you stop people from "picking-up" items that don't belong to them? How do you ensure that the customer drops off payment?
Midwestern honesty?
Good question - I was wondering the same thing. But then I remembered that a local comany we outsource too kinda does this. They just have shelfs along a wall inside the door in a production room. I've picked up banners there, no one was around, and I just grabbed the banners marked with our company name.
...I don't think custom signs would sell for much on the black market, so why would anyone steal them except just to be an asshole.

mkmie

Lost Soul
Good question - I was wondering the same thing. But then I remembered that a local comany we outsource too kinda does this. They just have shelfs along a wall inside the door in a production room. I've picked up banners there, no one was around, and I just grabbed the banners marked with our company name.
...I don't think custom signs would sell for much on the black market, so why would anyone steal them except just to be an asshole.
By no means am I in a high crime area YET putting a sign on my door saying " door is not locked" is counterintuitive. It works for Stacy. I'm not being judgemental. I guess I just don't trust people.
I went to pick up a Taco Bell order for the shop the other day that was ordered and paid for on line. I walk in and it's on a wire shelf next to three other orders.
I was flabbergasted.:omg: When I got back to the shop I asked the young ones what stops someone from grabbing all the orders? Answer was Nothing.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Midwestern honesty?
I have a camera pointing on the table (it also beeps with motion when the door is opened) and most of it is custom so unless you have the same last name and your son is the same number on football, you would have zero reason to steal my hoodie or my fathead.

I have a camera pointed at the outside of the building where the payment box is and one on the inside pointing the mail slot. Most people write checks. Cash I usually take it out and count it so it's on camera. No issues yet.

Everyone knows I have cameras, it was a gun shop when I bought the building. There was a loaded shot gun behind the counter, purposely in plain view. There's holders on all the doors for 2x4's so the doors can't get busted in. A reinforced steel door in the rear. The gun shop got robbed once - ONCE. Never happened again. The road is busy so it would be unlikely someone would attempt a break-in from the front or randomly enter the pick-up area on the sly.

Small town of only 4000-ish so if Joe Blow gets caught stealing your hoodie word will travel fast.

Cameras and make sure you have a sign that says "Smile your on camera" - it's the best deterrent.

netsol

By no means am I in a high crime area YET putting a sign on my door saying " door is not locked" is counterintuitive. It works for Stacy. I'm not being judgemental. I guess I just don't trust people.
I went to pick up a Taco Bell order for the shop the other day that was ordered and paid for on line. I walk in and it's on a wire shelf next to three other orders.
I was flabbergasted.:omg: When I got back to the shop I asked the young ones what stops someone from grabbing all the orders? Answer was Nothing.
not to pick on stacey, but i was wondering the same thing
we have a 35 years long client, who tells me he hasn't locked the house he lives in since 1962.

i wondered if he lived on walton mountain, because that doesn't work where we live

our ring doorbell group shows porch pirates, people walking down the street try ing the door handle on every car, looking in mailboxes to see what they will find...

Stacey K

I like making signs
I only lock my house if I leave for a few days and at night when I go to bed - I'm very good about locking it at night.

A couple of my friends don't even know where their house keys are. IDK, seems normal to me LOL