• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No power at the pole

makeasign

Let me begin by saying I am not a novice but I just want a little support on this one.....

Power at the circuit....no power to the pole for this lot light. Is this the point where you guys would recommend the customer to call an electrician and fix the electrical issue before going back?

J Hill Designs

yes. Unless you are an electrical contractor (not electric sign contractor), in my state you can't mess with power farther than 6 feet from the sign

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Probably. Unless you're a licensed electrician in that municipality, I don't think you can touch the problem. You can trouble shoot it and charge for that, but you can't do the work.

Poconopete

"Power at the circuit" Does this mean you have power coming OUT of the circuit breaker? If not replace the breaker if you are qualified to do so. Some how I think you need to leave this to an electrician or you wouldn't be asking.

Marlene

no power at the pole but power going to the pole? sounds like a problem in wires that run between the building and pole. usually sign guys don't deal with that.

makeasign

Well, here's the deal...Went to work for this company and they brought me on to develop a sign department. First job was this one, and my new boss looked at me like I was crazy when I told him to tell the customer to call an electrician. I am a licenced Sign Electrician, but as you all know, that's a 25 question test. My boss is a degreed Electrical Engineer and he thought I should be able to "fix the problem". I DON'T WANNA FIX THE PROBLEM!!! I'm not gonna get a backhoe and dig up this guys parking lot either. CALL AN ELECTRICIAN!!! I was just looking for some support on this one. I know when a job requires more than I can or SHOULD give to it......

By the way, thanks MOSH!!! That's what I should've told him!

Last edited:

makeasign

I don't want to do that....He's a pretty good guy. He just expects to do too much. I'm a sign guy and I think his idea of signguys is just a little off kilter.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You lost your job because you refused to do something you're not allowed to do by law and code ?? And he demanded you break the law and he's an engineer ??

I think your boss needs to settle down a bit and rethink his court case opening argument.

J Hill Designs

This has happened to me a few times recently (no power to pole) - what I did was hook up the sign to a generator to make sure IT worked, then gladly told the client 'here's your bill, the sign works, call an electrician - there is no power at the sign'

makeasign

No...I quit this morning because I felt like I was gonna end up getting let go. I know they were expecting the world, but I am just a signguy. That's it... and I'm good at it, or so I've been told by my other bosses in the industry....One of which wants me to work for him again, so I'm not too hurt by the whole thing. I'll have more peace knowing that I'm in the air everyday, doing what I love to do...not sitting around wondering when I'm gonna get fired because they want me to become a vehicle wrap guy. "That's still being a signguy" they say, "just a different aspect of it". Well that's all fine and dandy, but I'll be happier working on high-rises at 130ft. in the cold and rain, with the basket swaying in the wind 5 days a week, instead of trying to figure out what crazy job I'm gonna be asked to do next. Not to mention, I'll have a boss that I work with and for that FULLY trusts my judgement on anything relating to electrical signs. That in and of itself carries more than it's weight in gold and satisfaction

jiarby

hmmm

the customer only knows that the sign does not work. He calls sign boss. Sign boss hires YOU, the sign ELECTRICIAN.... you determine that electricity is the problem and recommend hiring a REAL electrician. The sign boss says "I thought YOU were the sign electrician!"

Kinda reminds me of an IT job I had years ago. On my first day was was making the rounds introducing my self as the new network/computer guy. An engineer pulls me aside to show me a telephone that was not working. I told him I'd check with the big boss... So I go see BB and ask "Bob's phone is dead, who's the phone guy around here?" he says "YOU are!!" DOH!!

makeasign

I appreciate your sentiments there Mr. PHD, but
1. Sign Mechanics and Technicians have certain responsibilities and none of them include working outside of the sign more than 15 feet (in this state)

2. Had you read all of the posts you would already know that he was wanting to develop a sign department...not expand a department. He suplied me with an empty bucket truck, and the job location. And when I say empty, I mean EMPTY!

3. His remedy for the situation was to bring power from another existin sign 30 yards away and run it underground, which is illegal to do unless you are a REAL electrician.

I don't by any means suppose to know it all, but am really keen to standard operations when it comes to servicing signage. When a signguy does new construction in your state, is he permitted to run all the wiring from the circuit to the sign, 150feet away...underground? If he is, wonderful...NOT IN THIS STATE! I'm not gonna have the local inspector stop in for lunch and inquire as to my goings-on, if I know I'm not responsible, permitted or even expected to do what was being asked of me by someone who just wants to attain a good working relationship with a big client.

Just as a footnote: When I told my boss that 50percent of the estimated cost of repair was expected before the service began and the rest after it's completion, he looked at me as if I were crazy and said, and I quote..."We don't have to do that. He's got 11 restaurants". Three jobs later and more than $4000 owed, we haven't seen the first penny, and that began 5 months ago. Who's the one that doesn't know protocol? I know it and follow it exclusively. This IS a job for a REAL electrician, and I can man up and say that. I'm not however, gonna break the law to keep my job.

Thanks for playing!

onesource

I would pass on it. Where's the break? under the building, parking lot? where?
For a sign shop this is a lot of man hours and equipment finding route plans etc.
Seen whole parking lots trenched before to re-run service to all the lights.

OldPaint

but I'll be happier working on high-rises at 130ft.
THEY GOT HIGH RISES.............IN HUNTINGTON WEST BY GOD VIRGIN-I-A???????
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
i can make fun of west virginians...........used to work in WEIRTON, W.VA.