• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No Print days

Colin

For about a month, I tried printing these bands every morning before, and i just didn't see additional benefit it would have given once i started my daily or auto cleaning routine.

One isn't going to "see" a difference, rather, I think it is done for longevity of the heads and to prevent the drying of the inks in the heads.

Gene@mpls

I have a VP540 (you too I think? Update your profile) and a SP300
before that (5 years together) and have never done a 'maintenance'-
have left them for up to 2 weeks at a time with no problems. Rolands
are pretty much bulletproof. Manual cleaning once a month (at most)
with the VP- SP was a bit more fussy. And these printers run hard most
of the time. Haven't had any problems- I think that you are over thinking this.

Letterbox Mike

As long as your printer comes on every now and then and does a quick cleaning cycle that is all you need. Running a test print on top of that is not doing anything further except wasting a small amount of ink and media. When your pump kicks on a cycles ink through the heads, that's doing the exact same thing as printing a test pattern, except it probably pulls more ink through. The intent is to keep enough ink moving through the heads that it doesn't have time to dry and clog in the nozzles. So don't waste your time or media!

That said, if you're sitting idle for more than a few days it's probably not a bad idea to run a test pattern to make sure no nozzles have clogged while the printer is sitting idle. In theory, as long as these machines have ink and are powered up to run a routine cleaning cycle, they can go indefinitely without major clogging issues. But that doesn't necessarily mean other things can't go wrong (dampers go bad or clog, contaminates filter through the head and clog a nozzle, air gets in an ink line, a head cap gets misaligned and allows air in under the head causing nozzles do dry), so it's wise to keep an occasional eye on a nozzle test pattern just to be safe. It's easier to recover clogged nozzles if you catch them quickly vs. weeks later.

Colin

I have a VP540 (you too I think? Update your profile)

I have a new SP540i

I just went to make that addition to my profile, and it required me to enter a whole pile of "registration" info. Wha? I've been on here for years!

....before that (5 years together) and have never done a 'maintenance'- have left them for up to 2 weeks at a time with no problems. Rolands are pretty much bulletproof. Manual cleaning once a month (at most) with the VP- SP was a bit more fussy. And these printers run hard most of the time. Haven't had any problems- I think that you are over thinking this.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Colin

As long as your printer comes on every now and then and does a quick cleaning cycle that is all you need. Running a test print on top of that is not doing anything further except wasting a small amount of ink and media. When your pump kicks on a cycles ink through the heads, that's doing the exact same thing as printing a test pattern, except it probably pulls more ink through. The intent is to keep enough ink moving through the heads that it doesn't have time to dry and clog in the nozzles. So don't waste your time or media!

That said, if you're sitting idle for more than a few days it's probably not a bad idea to run a test pattern to make sure no nozzles have clogged while the printer is sitting idle. In theory, as long as these machines have ink and are powered up to run a routine cleaning cycle, they can go indefinitely without major clogging issues. But that doesn't necessarily mean other things can't go wrong (dampers go bad or clog, contaminates filter through the head and clog a nozzle, air gets in an ink line, a head cap gets misaligned and allows air in under the head causing nozzles do dry), so it's wise to keep an occasional eye on a nozzle test pattern just to be safe. It's easier to recover clogged nozzles if you catch them quickly vs. weeks later.

Ok, that's a relief. Cheers.

Gene@mpls

I have a new SP540i

I just went to make that addition to my profile, and it required me to enter a whole pile of "registration" info. Wha? I've been on here for years!

That's good to know. Thanks.

That should have read 'maintenance print' Colin

randya

A nozzle check is enough to tell if you are having nozzle issues.

but doing a physical clean once or twice a week is the key.

There are two issues:

1. Ink drying in and around the nozzle.
2. Ink build up on the cap or stainless rim of the head.

1. Ink drying up in the nozzle will plug the nozzle giving a void, ink drying up around the nozzle orifice will cause misdirected nozzles. (this build up will cause the droplet NOT to drop at the correct location from the nozzle plate, and the nozzle will NOT fall on the media at the correct location, giving possile print anomolies.

This makes keeping the wiper clean very important.

The wiper is the only piece of equipment actually designed to contact the bottom of the head and across the nozzle plate. The nozzle plate on these heads is teflon and rather suceptible to damage. Dragging a wiper with old dry ink across the head can force some of that dried ink into the nozzle or possibly damage the nozzle plate itself.

2. Dry ink on the cap or stainless seal of the rim, will diminish the sealing capability of the head/cap mechanism and will not allow proper function of the auto clean or button cleaning process. There is a small pump below the cap that pulls a vacuum pulling ink through the head. With an improper seal, air can allow ink to dry in the nozzle, and give an improper count on how much ink has been used.

A nozzle check will tell you the condition of the nozzles firing.
A print may give you an indication of misdirected nozzles.

On newer machines it is not necessary to print daily, but you should do a physical clean at least once a week, and with all the different applications available making a new sample once or twice a week should be good exercise for you and your printer.

Last edited: