• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"No show bolt" install of aluminum panel

Andy D

I am putting together a couple of single sided "Vinyl Grover " frames with .080 aluminum panels cut to shape.
I would rather not drill through the panel and leave the install bolts showing, so I'm thinking of
adhering nuts with a base to the back side of the aluminum panel. A couple of questions:
Will stainless steel nuts react to painted aluminum?
I would rather buy the adhesive/bond local, what would you recommend?

upload_2019-7-3_9-56-54.png

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Corrosion risks with aluminium and stainless steel in contact. ... Stainless steel fasteners in aluminium plates or sheets are normally considered safe, where as aluminium rivets or bolts holding stainless steel parts together is an unwise combination, as there is a practical risk of corrosion.

Andy D

That's a great idea, the only downside is the panels wouldn't be removable..
but it would make my day easier, I tend to make projects harder than they need to be.
I have the VHB tape, and my go-to outside adhesive is 100% silicon, what would you use?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've seen threaded hex studs screwed into a channel that runs up the middle of the posts. You screw the stud in the channel on the bottom and the sign slips into the channel and rests on top of the studs... then you screw two more in at the top and it's held in place.

Billct2

I like that idea. I would probably bend some .063 or 080 to make a custom sized bracket that is the same width as the crossbar

d fleming

90 and some adhesive to back. I have done exactly that with Lords adhesive with beads in it for a uniform grab. Stuff was dang near hurricane proof.

signbrad

The angle on the back is a good idea. I would use actual aluminum angle for strength rather than break metal. Lord has an adhesive for dissimilar metals.

There is a galvanic reaction when stainless touches aluminum in the presence of moisture, just as Gino indicated. Use a nylon washer under a nut to separate the metals if need be. That is the solution when equipment is hung from ceilings in indoor pool areas. Where the stainless is glued to the aluminum, of course, the adhesive should act as an insulator, I would think.

I have installed ACM panels using stainless bolts and the stainless ate right through the paint and aluminum. Of course, the aluminum on these panels is paper thin.

Brad

bannertime

It's literally twice as thick as paper. With "eco" panels having .12mm aluminum sheets. I think there is a panel that is .08mm from Laminators Inc which is just barely thicker than paper. Some of the "premium" panels are around .30mm and others are .20mm.