• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Non-payer what would you do

CentralSigns

I did a sign several years ago for a non profit group that I belong to. The sign was short term and wore out after several years. So anyways the ski hill decided the sign needed replaced and mentioned it to the non profit group they would pay for the new one. The president of the non profit group is a friend and I am still a member of it, it was politically correct for him to give me the job. So I quoted the job a little less than I would sell it for, and was told to go ahead make it.

I made the sign delivered it and the ski hill staff put it up. Its now over 6 months latter and the invoice hasn't been paid. The staff member at the ski hill is saying, I should just donate the sign. I was not prepared to make this donation, in fact the first sign was a donation and I may have used different materials if I was to donate it again.

It really pisses me off that the staff person at the ski hill is refusing to pay for the sign. Value of the sign was $400. I don't think I should be forced to donate the sign. What would you do from this point? I have had business colleagues tell me to contact the president of the ski hill to make him aware of the issue. How should I proceed on this?

GypsyGraphics

"staff member at the ski hill is saying, I should" ...are you kidding me?
why are you even discussing this with him/her? you quoted the job and got the go-ahead from the non-profit. it's up to the non-profit to collected on the offer to donate funds for the signage.

having donated once does not obligate you to future donations and asking for it to be donated after the fact... hell no!

would you like a copy of my "request for donations form?"
by the way, it took me years of being the biggest sucker on the planet to realize i needed to get my donation work under control.

:ROFLMAO: get my donation work under control... i can't even say that with a straight face.

but i really did create a form and you're welcome to it, if you'd like.

CentralSigns

Thank GG for your ideas on this. I would like to see the donation form, if you want to send it. I think I'll try to stay out of any convoluted deals in the future.

LoneRanger01

If in fact you sent out an invoice and it has not been paid I would send a copy of the original invoice with a copy of a bew invoice including 5 months of late charges. If you priced the sign to them first and then was given the ok to make the sign then late charges apply. They know it was not a donation.

FS-Keith

stop pussyfooting around this and call up the person in charge of this "ski hill" that authorized you to make the sign and ask when you will be receiving payment on their past due invoice. Then get your friend on the phone with the non profit group and inform him you have not been paid. You know non profit groups ussually do not work for free. So neither should you. Dont let them push you around.

GypsyGraphics

Thank GG for your ideas on this. I would like to see the donation form, if you want to send it.

i don't use this form as often as i should, but when i get someone calling who i'm not sure i want to donate to even if i can afford the time/expense... this form usually sends them looking for an easier target. pretty bad when they don't mind asking for you to work for free but can't even be bothered to fill out a simple form.

anyway, my form reads:

[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Request for Service

It is our pleasure to support the people and organizations in our community. Therefor Gypsy Graphics budgets quarterly to oblige as many requests for donated services as possible.

Because we receive numerous requests, this form must be received 30 days prior to the day our services are needed, to allow for scheduling.

Please provide all group or organization information and details as to your specific needs. Requests are reviewed on Fridays and you will be contacted the following Monday for either additional information or to inform you if we are able to meet your request.

Name of Group/Organization:
Non-Profit information if applicable:
Address:
Phone:
Email:
Contact Person:
Phone:
Email Address:
Date of Event:
Name or Title of Event:
Beneficiary:

Date you are requesting our services:
Description of services and/or product needed:
[/FONT]

ChicagoGraphics

6 months, I would of had it collections already, you can always threaten the ski hill that you will take them to court, a lot of times just hearing court will get the customer to pay.

visual800

you need to deal with who told you to do it. the first problem is NON PROFIT...BS! i would demand payment and then repo sign and never do anything else for them

Farmboy

They agreed to pay for the sign when it was ordered. I'd love to be able to change my mind about paying for everything after I ordered it. Take the invoice to the local town court and let them handle it. It's amazing how quickly you'll get a check in the mail.

boxerbay

Go pick up your sign. I'm sure they will call you. If they don't have PAID bill of sale the sign is yours. Go pick it up.

We unfortunately had to do this. We put it up, client never paid, we pick up our sign. Client called complaining about his missing sign and we asked them to kindly bring their PAID invoice and we would gladly release the sign. We accept cash. He showed up quickly with cash in hand.

signmeup

Go pick up your sign. I'm sure they will call you. If they don't have PAID bill of sale the sign is yours. Go pick it up.

We unfortunately had to do this. We put it up, client never paid, we pick up our sign. Client called complaining about his missing sign and we asked them to kindly bring their PAID invoice and we would gladly release the sign. We accept cash. He showed up quickly with cash in hand.
You're lucky the police didn't show up... looking for you. The customer owes you money for the sign you made for them not the sign itself. When you handed over the sign you, in effect, gave them a loan. The loan was not paid. The only damage to you is you don't have your money... not you don't have the sign. What if you repo the sign and they still don't pay? Now you have no money, a sign you can't use and no hope of getting paid. Not real smart advice.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Repo'ing signs without repossession clause in a contract is theft. You must also notify the delinquent customer of a 30 day notice in most states of the repossession. Just doing a night grab can end you up in jail, ruin your businesses reputation and in the long run cost you business.

As for the ski hill ... just contact the owner and inform them that if payment is not made as agreed upon, you will sell their debt to a collection agency. Since I'm sure the ski hill doesn't want it's credit rating messed with ... they will pay.

GoodPeopleFlags

THEY'RE a not-for-profit organization - not you. Contact the organization, tell them what's going on. The agreement for the other people to pay for the sign was between them and the organization, right? Not you and the ski people. The agreement you had was between you and the organization. You shouldn't even be talking to the ski people. The longer you wait, the tougher it will be to collect. Do something about this now.

John L

We have these in both English and Spanish... feel free.

Attachments

• Donation.jpg
    Donation.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 63

artbot

1) probably will never ever see the money. if you opt for the donation route, add something to the bottom of the sign "donated by such and such".

2)repo

3)vandalize?

whatever you do, $400 isn't enough money to give it much thought.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
REPO the sign, its your property.

Again ...

Repo'ing signs without repossession clause in a contract is theft. You must also notify the delinquent customer of a 30 day notice in most states of the repossession. Just doing a night grab can end you up in jail, ruin your businesses reputation and in the long run cost you business.