Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

non-pvc material to replace coroplast

Discussion in 'Think Green!' started by bigben, Mar 5, 2014.

1. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I'm looking to replace coroplast with something that do not have pvc in it. So what is the cheapest non-pvc board around 3mm or 4mm that could replace coroplast?

Also, other than the new 3m 480 vinyl. Is there a basic vinyl that have no pvc in it that can be printable?

Thanks

Ben

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I would imagine regular cardboard would be your next step.

As for a non-PVC vinyl.... I don't think that's gonna happen. That's why it's called vinyl.

That's kinda like asking for pork not from a pig..... the other white meat.

3. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    he could apply his prints to turkey bacon . that's the other other white meat:omg:

4. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    Pat: I have the converd product you've talked. It's a good option, but the outdoor durability is alot less than coroplast. But it still my no1 choice for now.

Gino: by non-pvc vinyl I mean a white printable product with sticky backing that could be use as vinyl at approximately the same cost. The 3M 480 stuff is the right thing, but I was wondering if there was anything cheaper for regular flat surface.

5. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
  6. SolitaryT

SolitaryT Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Our Sun Supply driver just stopped by with a couple of samples of this stuff... looked good. I was trying to think of a use for it as it doesn't have flutes, but it still has the coro-type edge. Looks like good stuff, though, and it's recyclABLE... (not recyclED... POTENTIALLY green lol)

7. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    falconboard is great stuff, but I wouldn't trust it outdoors as it is basically thick cardboard with a printable posterboard laminate.
    but hey, its recycled & biodegradable & STILL a great price.

8. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over

Lol that one was great one

9. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
  10. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    can I ask why no pvc? doesn't hold up well? client of yours doesn't want it? the why is important as not sure if you are just anti-pvc or if you have to find something without it to make spec's on a job.

11. Ben Lindgren

Ben Lindgren New Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Helsinki
    Hi guys!

Just a quick info:
    3M 48c, non-pvc polymeric print film.
    Going thru my first roll, sadly it had coating issues, so cannot give definitive yes or no.

With laminate kiss cut force had to be 510g ( summa s140t), which was pretty much.

Profiling with Spectro LFP yielded poor results. I assume it is due to poor coating.

I will get a new roll next week, will update then.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

12. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    3 year old thread... but oh well!

We have a roll of 480, and it prints exactly like 180 - Didn't even need to make a new profile for it, our 180 profile yields the same results. What machine are you using?

13. Ben Lindgren

Ben Lindgren New Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Helsinki
    Epson SC70600.
    Which rip do you use?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk